Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you use a cookie cutter on fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-use-cookie-cutter-fabric-t253846.html)

tessagin 09-17-2014 05:29 AM

There is a reason why they are called cookie cutters. I have used them as templates for paper. Just take a cookie cutter and try to cut a piece of paper or fabric and see how it works for you. Pretty sure not. If you're wanting to use them as applique for a one time project then like feline fanatic stated. Go to keepsake. Maybe you can get a few friends to help you cut them up or any member of the family/friends.

Michellesews 09-17-2014 06:01 AM

I used a gingerbread man cookie cutter but what I did was draw around it and cut out with scissors. I don't think a cookie cutter is sharp enough to cut fabric. I have an accu go and those blades are sharp as a rotary cutter!

aeble 09-17-2014 06:07 AM

If you lived closer to me I'd cut them out for you. I have three sizes of butterflies. Your best bet is to find someone with the machine that can do it for you.

grammatjr 09-17-2014 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by aeble (Post 6892388)
If you lived closer to me I'd cut them out for you. I have three sizes of butterflies. Your best bet is to find someone with the machine that can do it for you.

Wow, you could be my new best friend! If we did live closer, I would take you up on it!

I think I have decided to just cut them by hand - until I get exhausted, then make a die for the next time I might want to use this.

duckydo 09-17-2014 04:41 PM

I agree with feline fanatic, much easier

bearisgray 09-17-2014 07:27 PM

I think she wants these butterflies to be out of a certain material that she has.

Maybe someone could offer to cut them for her for $x or a fabric trade or something?

paoberle 09-18-2014 04:14 AM

Cookie cutters will not cut the material, but there is no reason why you cannot use them to make patterns. Trace the shape onto cardboard, add a seam allowance (if desired), trace onto your fabric and cut. You can also trace onto freezer paper, iron onto your fabric, and then cut.

madamekelly 09-18-2014 08:36 AM

If you got a water color ink pad, you could use your cookie cutters as stamps but you would still have to cut them out. Just remember that anything you use around any chemical (ink) should never again live in your kitchen.

madamekelly 09-18-2014 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by grammatjr (Post 6892670)
Wow, you could be my new best friend! If we did live closer, I would take you up on it!

I think I have decided to just cut them by hand - until I get exhausted, then make a die for the next time I might want to use this.

Maybe the two of you could work together through the mail?

bearisgray 09-18-2014 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 6894042)
If you got a water color ink pad, you could use your cookie cutters as stamps but you would still have to cut them out. Just remember that anything you use around any chemical (ink) should never again live in your kitchen.

I don't see the problem - if something has been thoroughly cleaned - why not bring it back into one's kitchen?

If you think about the FOOD we eat - most of it has been grown in DIRT, or lived in less than sterile conditions,

and then who knows what else was done to it from the time it was harvested until it hits out mouths.