Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cannot use a thimble....argh! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cannot-use-thimble-argh-t62138.html)

Candela59 08-30-2010 05:37 AM

You're not alone! I've never been able to use a thimble. By the time I'm done with the binding and/or hand quilting my fingers are a mess.

I think I'll take someone else's advice on here and try a leather one before I give up on it completely.

ganny 08-30-2010 05:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have all kinds of thimbles, metal, leather, you name it. I'm thimble poor! I don't like any of them. I went to Staples and bought those rubber finger tips for flipping paper pages. I cut the tips off to the size I wanted and use them. I even cut a small one for my thumb (which always splits open and is very, very sore). They stay on good and help a lot. The other part the tips are cut from, I have put them on another finger that I don't use the tip to catch the needle.

tooMuchFabric 08-30-2010 05:41 AM

Anything short of a rigid plastic or a metal thimble, and the needle punctures through and stabs my finger. Even the leather and the rubber ones.
I use 12 Sharps.

Damkina 08-30-2010 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by loopywren
I have the same problem and I have tried all sorts of thimble. I know it sounds stupid but I now put a plaster on with the padded piece where the needle stabs into the finger. Hope this oddball way helps you

I do exactly the same thing... the amount of plasters I went through when I last did my applique was rediculous.

Funny thing is, I've got 96 thimbles!

:lol:

cjomomma 08-30-2010 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I can't use a thimble due to long fingernails.

I use the ones with the little lip on them, and a hole for the long fingernails to fit into.

Thank you. I will have to look for them.

nuttyhurricane 08-30-2010 06:16 AM

I do not use a regular thimble. I use a small 3/8 " heavy duty felt pads. You know the ones to protect your funiture. I put it on the spot that I wear a hole in my figure from pushing the needle through. You can only use them once. And if you are doing a ton of hand sewing they do wear out. They are cheap and you can get them at your favorite box store. (Walmart) :-D K.

trupeach1 08-30-2010 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947

Originally Posted by laurlync
I have the same problem with a regular, rigid thimble, but I switched to a leather thimble and it works great.

Me too. I use Clover brand.

ditto

EagarBeez 08-30-2010 06:20 AM

I tried all sorts of thimbles and prefer to use finger cots. They work great for me and are not cumbersome

twinkie 08-30-2010 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by laurlync
I have the same problem with a regular, rigid thimble, but I switched to a leather thimble and it works great.

I love my leather thimble and you are right, it does work great.

twinkie 08-30-2010 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric

I can't use a thimble due to long fingernails.

I use the ones with the little lip on them, and a hole for the long fingernails to fit into.

Thank you. I will have to look for them.

I have found these at quilt shows but I am sure they carry them in LQS