Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't quilt fast with a walking foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-quilt-fast-walking-foot-t249071.html)

GagaSmith 06-25-2014 03:28 PM

Can't quilt fast with a walking foot?

Today I was using my walking foot to machine quilt diagonal lines on a warm wishes I just made. Since they were straight lines I was moving along at a good clip. All of a sudden the needle fell out!
I put it back together, made sure it was tight and after a few minutes it did it again.
So I changed the needle and started sewing again. It fell out again. I realized it was only happening when I was going fast. I started going slower and it didn't happen again. I have a two-year-old Janome 6300. Has anyone else had this problem? Are you supposed to go slow with a walking foot?

FranW 06-25-2014 04:06 PM

The same thing has happened to me with my Janome 6500 (more than once). I do tend to sew fast when I am doing straight lines but I never realized that might be the reason until I read your post. Each time I reinserted the needle, tightened the walking foot, and continued sewing, but probably at a slower pace. Everything was fine.

pocoellie 06-25-2014 04:15 PM

I don't have a Janome but I've never had the needle fall out at any speed and I usually have the pedal to the medal.

AngeliaNR 06-25-2014 04:25 PM

I haven't had this happen, but I don't go very fast. An instructor in a Craftsy class about quilting with a walking foot gave what I thought was good advice: "Don't rush; let your walking foot walk." She said it works more effectively at a slower pace. Still, I don't think your needle should be falling out--what a pain!

auntpiggylpn 06-25-2014 04:40 PM

That happens to me on my Janome everytime I sew fast with my walking foot. Weird huh?!?!

PurplePassion 06-25-2014 05:40 PM

Yep me too. When sewing fast with the walking foot and the hopper foot-free motion.

franc36 06-25-2014 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 6774363)
I haven't had this happen, but I don't go very fast. An instructor in a Craftsy class about quilting with a walking foot gave what I thought was good advice: "Don't rush; let your walking foot walk." She said it works more effectively at a slower pace. Still, I don't think your needle should be falling out--what a pain!

I took the same Craftsy class and I don't sew fast with my walking foot. I don't have a Janome so I don't know how your needle is inserted. Is it possible that the fast speed makes the walking foot vibrate which loosens the needle?

Tartan 06-25-2014 06:01 PM

It is probably that the speed is causing enough vibration to loosen the needle. Try a shelf liner or similar as a shock absorber under the machine to reduce the vibration and see if it helps.

GagaSmith 06-25-2014 06:22 PM

Good idea Tartan. I never thought about that. I did think that maybe because that little bar goes over the screw where the needle is tightened, it might be vibrating it too much.

Terri D. 06-25-2014 06:57 PM

How frustrating! I have not had that problem when machine quilting, but I don't quilt all that fast. I'd be curious to know what your dealer has to say about it...