Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't Stop Shopping (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-stop-shopping-t228249.html)

GrannieAnnie 08-21-2013 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie R (Post 6241879)
I've become obsessed with searching for quilting fabric on Craigslist and at garage sales. I'm sure my family will be staging an intervention soon. It all started when I came across fabric at Joann's priced at $12.99 yard. I make a lot of charity quilts for Quilts for Kids but I just can't see spending that kind of money for them (I know not all fabrics cost that much). Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed the summer garage sale season and I've had some good finds. One lady was a fabric designer, another sewed Vera Bradley knock-off purses - so they've had really some really great fabrics at great prices.

My name is Julie - and I'm a fabri-holic.

Most of the fabric on my local Craigslist is expensive for what I consider "yard sale" fabric-------------often $3 per yard of pretty much "iffy" fabric.

GrannieAnnie 08-21-2013 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by judy5cents (Post 6245971)
My name is Judy and I am a thrifty fabri-holic. I prefer to buy from thrift stores, then I can justify my purchases because of the good deals that I am getting...lol

I wanted so badly to stop at Goodwill today and see what they had. But I'm sorting a bag of donated fabric and seeing what I can do with what. got the last load in the washer this evening.

nhweaver 08-22-2013 02:53 AM

I am a recovering ysfa (yard sale fabric acquirer). I love a deal, but gee, enough is enough for me. I still yard sale, thrift store shop for fabric. I put all what I find in one place (grab it quick as there are the ysfa's grabbing too). then I give each piece a good look, and ask my self the 3 w's. Will I ever use it, What would I use it for, and is it a What ever was on my mind when I bring it home!" piece of fabric. These orphans I put back for the other ysfas to take home.

nhweaver 08-22-2013 02:57 AM

What is a normal stash?

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 6245228)
I am in denial but, I have way too much fabric. But hopefully by the end of winter it will be tamed down to the normal stash.

stablemom 08-22-2013 08:27 PM

Hi. My name is Gina and I am also an addict and I love it. I love my fabric too. I was packing it up tonight to move it again and thinking I have to get rid of some, I have so much. But I love it , I love the colors and prints and patterns. I see the quilts I want to make and thought, nope I am keeping it all! Nope, no hope for me!

stablemom 08-22-2013 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver (Post 6248416)
What is a normal stash?

I honestly don't know. But I don't think mine is "normal" . I think I might be a borderline hoader sometimes!

GrannieAnnie 08-23-2013 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by stablemom (Post 6250209)
I honestly don't know. But I don't think mine is "normal" . I think I might be a borderline hoader sometimes!

I'm pretty sure I'm a hoarder. I buy becasue it's there.

Reb 08-23-2013 01:23 AM

Recovering fabriholic

[QUOTE=wildyard;6245256]Well, I am a fabriholic and I love it too. However, I do want to share another side of the issue with my quilting friends just as something to keep in mind.

I always have trouble resisting a good fabric buy, but at one point last winter, I found myself unable to resist ANY fabric buy. I would be telling myself NO, the whole time I was filling my basket, and PUT IT BACK. I was spending money we didn't have. But no matter how much I lectured myself, I would be shocked at the check out by how much I had spent.

I became very concerned by how compulsive this problem was getting. And it didn't happen with anything except fabric. So at my next Dr. appt. I laughingly mentioned it, and come to find out, it was a side effect of a medication I was taking.

We lowered the dose by half and the problem was gone within 2 weeks.

So please do enjoy your fabric shopping, but if you ever do really feel out of control, look into it, there could be something going on besides a good healthy love of wonderful fabrics. Hugggggggs and smilessssss.[/

I think this is important. I have BipolarII and having a compulsion to spend money, even if it is on fabric, could be a symptom of a "manic" episode. I actually experienced this myself. Unfortunatly I wasn't quilting at the time so I didn't spend on fabric. But I got some things I always wanted for the house. An
excellent P-Doc prescribed the correct medication. And I have my stash from years ago that I can now enjoy! Be healthy! Then shop til you drop!

The top of my post is a quoted previous post. Not sure why it didn't come out looking right

Scraplady 08-23-2013 04:25 AM

"Fabric is cheaper than therapy." A wise friend once told me this and it has become my excuse. Truth be told, quilting IS my therapy, and that is probably true for most of us here. I can't make quilts without fabric. I never pay full price for anything if I can help, and I love scoring a bargain, whether from a quilt shop, a big box fabric store, a quilting sister here on the board who is culling her stash, or my personal favorite--the local thrift store. My latest find was a bunch of fabric "bundles" at a 2nd hand shop. Less than $20 all together and when I got it home and measured, more than 10 yards of quality cotton fabric.

reginalovesfabric 08-23-2013 05:53 AM

ladies this is the way I look at this situation, some people play golf, some people buy flowers for their yard, I buy fabric. In my family I have a brother that buys coins, a daughter that takes pictures, a granddaughter that drinks pedisure and I buy fabric, see everyone NEEDS a vice. Life is not all work.