Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Card Trick Pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/card-trick-pattern-t69969.html)

lovinquilting 10-13-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mailmanldy
When I first started to quilt, I also needed something to tell me how many blocks, how much fabric, and how to sew everything together. But, after a few quilts, and learning how to use Electric Quilt, I can take any block, make it what ever size I want, and make a quilt as large or as small as I want, with a few clicks of my mouse. Sure, I could do the math, but if I change my mind, and decide I want to add sashing, or alter a border, I can see immediately what those changes would do to the size of my quilt, and know if it would work or if I need to change something else.

I stopped buying patterns after I learned how to use EQ, and I'm learning more and more about the program the more I use it, and can design more complicated quilts if I wanted to. So the savings in patterns alone, to me was worth the cost of the program. Plus, I am addicted to computer programs, if there is one that will make things easier for me, even if it takes some time to learn the program, I would buy the program in a heartbeat. LOL

Where can you buy the EQ software?

Mailmanldy 10-13-2010 02:29 PM

Call your local quilt store to see if they have it, and if not and can't order it for you, then you can find it online at www.electricquilt.com Also, their website has lots of great information about the program, and some lessons on how to use it.

Also, don't think that EQ will tell you HOW to sew a quilt or block together, you need to have an idea on how to do that on your own. It is more of a designing tool... so you can see how your quilt would look with different colors, with or with out sashing, if you turned your blocks on point, etc. You can play around with so many different layouts BEFORE you start to cut fabric or sew anything, so you know where you are going to end up. And you can print out templates, rotary cutting information, patterns for paper piecing, pretty much anything you can design for a quilt, you can do in EQ.

lovinquilting 10-13-2010 02:31 PM

Call your local quilt store to see if they have it, and if not and can't order it for you, then you can find it online at www.electricquilt.com Also, their website has lots of great information about the program, and some lessons on how to use it.

Thanks. This board is so helpful. I can't believe what I have learned from all of you fabulous quilters.

mpeters1200 10-13-2010 02:40 PM

The way I do it does involve some serious math, so you may want to do the math 5 or 6 times like me, unless you are really good at math....I digress.

I got my card trick pattern from www.quilterscache.com. Now, she only shows how to make one block, but she shows what the quilt will look like when you make multiple blocks.

Under her section of quilting lessons, she has a good tutorial about multipling blocks and sizes. Then figuring out how many of what size strips you need for that many blocks, and how many pieces you can get from each strip. It's a good method to learn because you can then create quilts from one block using this multiplication.

EQ is still too expensive for me to rationalize the expense. Luckily enough, I have some friends who have it so if I run into problems with my math, they can plug it in real fast.

It's like a log cabin or pieced borders, it's more a technique you learn that will apply for many things than it is just learning to make the block.

Granna of 5 10-13-2010 03:03 PM

Go to http://quilterscache.com/C/CardTrickBlock.html she has a good one.

cbridges22 10-13-2010 03:43 PM

Also, don't think that EQ will tell you HOW to sew a quilt or block together, you need to have an idea on how to do that on your own. It is more of a designing tool... so you can see how your quilt would look with different colors, with or with out sashing, if you turned your blocks on point, etc. You can play around with so many different layouts BEFORE you start to cut fabric or sew anything, so you know where you are going to end up. And you can print out templates, rotary cutting information, patterns for paper piecing, pretty much anything you can design for a quilt, you can do in EQ.

Thanks for the info on EQ7.I have been thinking about it and my husband has been asking what I want for Christmas.I must say I choke at the price but if I never bought another quilt pattern it could pay for itself.The math gives me fits so this would be nice.I also think it would be great to see what I have in my mind on paper before I start.

cbridges22 10-13-2010 03:46 PM

Quiltville.com is another good site with info and Missouri Quilt Co. has tutorials on you tube.

quiltnchik 10-13-2010 06:17 PM

Here you go - this one's BEAUTIFUL!

http://www.thequiltermag.com/onlineproject/index.shtml

RkayD 10-13-2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by lovinquilting
Thanks. Guess I'm just nervous about doing anything without complete pattern instructions. Was anyone else like that when first starting? Just curious.

Yes! I got so frustrated I almost quit quilting all together. But I love it too much. As your confidence grows ~ so will your courage and your creativity. Remember...its ONLY fabric. Gorgeous luscious fabric...but only fabric. Have Fun!

RkayD 10-13-2010 06:27 PM

[quote=cbridges22]

if I never bought another quilt pattern it could pay for itself

this is FUNNY! My husband would check me for sick if I never bought another quilt pattern. =)