Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Caring for fleece fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/caring-fleece-fabric-t1474.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 07-18-2007 07:29 PM

My friend wants me to make another quilt for her baby. Nothing fancy or anything, just a simple tie quilt. But the fabric she wants for it is fleece and I have never worked with fleece before...if my memory from sewing class is correct, fleece is the one that will melt into a plastic blob if you put it in the dryer.

To avoid ruining $15 worth of fabric...how do you properly take care of fleece fabric?

zyxquilts 07-18-2007 08:39 PM

The fleece that's out there now is EASY care!! Just throw it in the washer & dryer, it doesn't shrink, it doesn't fray... but it can get "pilly" after a while, not a big deal. Some kinds are supposedly non-pilling too tho', but I'm sure they cost more. I just wash mine in cold water, toss 'em in the dryer on permanent press, no problem.
It can try to slide around on you when you're sewing it. Other than that, can't think of any problems....unless you think cats laying on the fleece is a problem.... :wink:

sue

Flying_V_Goddess 07-18-2007 08:59 PM

29 Attachment(s)
Cats laying on the fleece?

zyxquilts 07-18-2007 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If there is a cat in house, and there is a piece of fleece available, more likely than not, the cat will be laying on the fleece! LOL

sue

cat on fleece
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2350[/ATTACH]

sewmuch 07-18-2007 09:41 PM

I have made several fleece blankets for the grandchildren and made a green cover for our poker games. They do wash and dry beautifully, but some pill a bit. :mrgreen:

vicki reno 07-19-2007 03:05 AM

I have jackets out of fleece and love them, never sewed with it though. Very easy care!

Knot Sew 07-19-2007 06:53 AM

I made mittens with it for grands, no problem

mary705 11-03-2007 01:59 AM

zyxquilts is right about it wanting to slide a bit, but if you have a walking foot, it helps to use it. I bought one of those no-sew fleece throws for my son, but didn't cut out the corners and such like they say to do. I just used a zigzag stitch around the outside edgres of the printed fleece, and still have the solid piece to use. Get 2 for the price of one.

quiltmaker101 11-05-2007 01:10 PM

I know it is a long time since this question was posed, and I did not read all the answers, but I thought I would mention that I have seen a warning to not put fabric softener on fleece.

I don't know the outcome, but that was from Joann's if I remember correctly.

2 Doods 11-05-2007 06:30 PM

I have a cousin that sells fleece blankets-her advice is to never wash it with towels. Wash it alone so there isn't anything rubbing against it. It helps with the pilling. There are differnet qualities of fleece too. She uses a heavy one. Worth a little more $$ if it lasts better. Pictures???