Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) and Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/carpal-tunnel-syndrome-cts-quilting-t20793.html)

roseville rose 05-31-2009 11:42 AM

Anybody have trouble with CTS and quilting. I am having a terrible time and wonder if anybody has any suggestions (short of surgery).

SulaBug 05-31-2009 11:45 AM

I have never had that trouble, but I do
have arthritus in my wrists & fingers.
That is painful, too. I hope you can get
some relief soon!! Take care.

Mousie 05-31-2009 11:49 AM

I have to admit I don't know much about carpal tunnel syndrome.
I have fibromyalgia, and I get sharp pains in my right elbow that run down the forearm into my hand. I didn't start doing that until about a year ago, I think, and have wondered what the symptoms of carpel t. are?

Tink's Mom 05-31-2009 11:56 AM

:( Been there :( Use your braces, there are so many different ones that I think I still have 3 or 4. the one that is like a foam sleeve with laces is the one that helped me most during sewing. But, I still had to have surgery on both hands........It has been several years, and yes, I still have some problems, but that was because I waited so long that so much damage was not repairable.

I have fibromyalgia and arthritis, too. So the triple threat makes even typing in the forum difficult.

Good luck, but I would get a good hand surgeon and go for it. :|

QuiltyLisa 05-31-2009 12:14 PM

I had CTS surgery 5 years ago not long after I broke my wrist. the braces never really worked for me since I was doing repetitive work 8-10 hours a day.That was the only thing that fixed it for me. I use a computer mouse and keyboard all day and by the time I got home cold not even think of quilting I was in so much pain. Had to have the surgery due to the CTS making my work too too painful. best thing I have ever done was the surgery.

I tried paraffin soaks and lots off different pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds.
But nothing except the surgery worked. Sorry I am not much help.

canmitch1971 05-31-2009 12:36 PM

I have had CTS of my right hand but it started before I started quilting. I have had surgery on it twice. The first time did not work so I went to another doctor and he did a fine job. My left hand has it slightly too but not bad enough for surgery.

Jerrie 05-31-2009 12:37 PM

I have CT S i had surgery on my right and he want to do the left but i am waiting now i have it back in my right hand again i wear the ace glove on my hands. But it don't help. i massage them often to get the cirulation going. maybe someone else might have a idea. I am doing a redwork portriat quilt of the family and my hands cramps up

Prism99 05-31-2009 12:40 PM

There was a thread about this recently in which I posted my successful results in overcoming CTS. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/20317.page

CTS is an inflammation, so anything you can do to eliminate that inflammation before scarring takes place is helpful. I cut way down on my typing, wore braces day and night (including when typing), and took a high dose of citrus bioflavanoids twice a day.

Repetitive motion is what causes CTS, so it's important to eliminate as much as possible the repetitive motion that brought on the inflammation. Braces keep the wrist in a neutral position, reducing pressure on the nerve and giving the carpal tunnel a chance to heal.

redquilter 05-31-2009 01:03 PM

Believe it or not, yoga helps. I go to a few classes a week, but if that's not for you - look for some yoga hand exercises or I can try and describe a few for you. Mine is much improved since doing yoga.

roseville rose 05-31-2009 01:17 PM

I am willing to try anything except surgery since it only has a success rate of about 50%. I would appreciate any exercises or books on yoga to help--thanks so much. I do not want to give up my passion of quilting.