Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cases and covers for transporting machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cases-covers-transporting-machines-t34410.html)

Kryssa 01-17-2010 08:33 PM

I just got my first machine (yay!) and it has to go to it's first sewing class next week.

My first project was a cotton cover for when it's sitting on the table unused. I'm wondering if it's worth buying a case to put it in when I'm bringing it to and from class. Or I could seam rip a hole it the cotton and allow its handle to come out and transport it that way.

What do you guys think? How do your machines travel?

craftybear 01-17-2010 08:36 PM

I bought cases for mine as in case it is raining they don't get wet. Also easier to carry. I also have a bag on wheels that I got on sale at Joan's really nice.

Karen

amma 01-17-2010 08:37 PM

Plastic cases aren't that much, cloth doesn't provide very much protection. If I had very much invested in a machine, it might be a good investment :wink:

nursie76 01-17-2010 08:39 PM

I got a tote on wheels on sale at WalMart several months ago. Then DH got a larger one at Joanns that had a bent wheel (which he repaired) when he got the 75% off for damaged and then used a coupon it was $8. But then I got a Tutto case for my embroidery module (the one it came with wasn't very protective). Now DH just found a Tutto that fits my Bernina machine and has oodles of room, a metal frame, AND collapses for storage. Got it on sale at Overstock.com

sewnsewer2 01-17-2010 09:03 PM

Yes, I would get a sturdy case. It may get knocked around otherwise.

sidskid 01-17-2010 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I got a tote on wheels on sale at WalMart several months ago. Then DH got a larger one at Joanns that had a bent wheel (which he repaired) when he got the 75% off for damaged and then used a coupon it was $8. But then I got a Tutto case for my embroidery module (the one it came with wasn't very protective). Now DH just found a Tutto that fits my Bernina machine and has oodles of room, a metal frame, AND collapses for storage. Got it on sale at Overstock.com

Sounds like your DH is a keeper!

nursie76 01-17-2010 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Plastic cases aren't that much, cloth doesn't provide very much protection. If I had very much invested in a machine, it might be a good investment :wink:

That was my take on it too!

DH is definitely a keeper! :thumbup:

tlrnhi 01-17-2010 09:36 PM

I have a soft side on wheels (bought it from Joanns on sale) that I use for my Kenmore Ergo when I need to take it places. It's not good for flights or anything huge. Just short trips to friends houses.
My older Kenmore is small/big enough to fit into one of my rolling carryon suitcases and I'll be toting that with me when we move. I won't have to worry about it being jostled while traveling because I'll be the one handling it.

sawsan 01-17-2010 10:50 PM

Why u companies unfinished your work and make strong cases 4 our dear machines .
My old Singer has one strong case but then it begin to make new one with nylon super market bags :thumbdown:

Needles in SW OR 01-19-2010 08:49 PM

My vote is for one on wheels. I got one at JoAnn's on sale but was still about $35.00. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
It has storage pockets for supplies and leaves your hands relatively free for a tote and purse.
I quilt with a group each Thursday and it sure saves my back and lots of steps.
A purchase you will never regret.