Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cat fur sticking to batik (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cat-fur-sticking-batik-t283412.html)

johans 10-30-2016 02:24 AM

cat fur sticking to batik

I made my son & DIL a beautiful Derrick Lockwood quilt for their wedding. It is all batiks, mostly black, with jewel tones. They love it! Her cat loves it -- yuck! It's a long-haired white cat! I see my first mistake - don't do dark colors where there is a white cat.
My question is: Has anyone had success in keeping cat fur from sticking to batik fabric? They are willing to hang the quilt, but if cat fur is in the air, it may still attach itself. They don't want to just pack it away.
Please help if you have any suggestions. This quilt took me 800 hours to piece and quilt this 6,500 piece beauty. I want them to be able to use it.
Yes, the back is also batik - black!

117becca 10-30-2016 03:45 AM

Hate to break it to ya - cat hair sticks to EVERYTHING!!! I have 2 gray cats, they aren't allowed on the quilts that I make and i am totally amazed at how much cat hair i brush off the quilts while I am working on them and how many teeny tiny cat hair balls are in the washer and dryer after i wash the quilt when i am finished working on it.

btw - dog hair isn't any different.

Belfrybat 10-30-2016 04:15 AM

I use Shed Guard. It won't stop the cat hair from clinging, but makes it much easier to remove.
https://www.amazon.com/Shed-Guard-Re.../dp/B00KMZNPJG

SuzzyQ 10-30-2016 04:23 AM

I don't think they should really mind the cat fur - they have a cat. They should use and enjoy the quilt - and I hope they use it and love it till it falls apart ... cat fur be darned!
Perhaps they could cover it after the bed is made with a light sheet since the cat also loves it. It would cut down the cat fur a bit.

toverly 10-30-2016 05:20 AM

Cat fur sticks to everything. There's no tendency for it to stick to batiks any more than any other fabric. Most are tighter weaves so it should stick less. As a cat owner, I don't even notice cat hair anymore, I'm sure they are used to white cat hair everywhere. I wouldn't worry about it.

Annaquilts 10-30-2016 05:23 AM

I also think they should go ahead and use it. The cat hair won't harm it. They can just lint roll it a couple of times a week if it bothers them. Maybe give them a pack of lint rollers?

GingerK 10-30-2016 05:24 AM

We also had a white cat (see my avatar) whose hair managed to weave its way into fabric. SuzzyQ has it right. Shedding and hairballs go hand in hand with purrs and cuddles. One of those sticky rollers helps a bit, but short of shaving the cat, nothing will get rid of all the hair all the time. I often threw one of my sweaters or fleeces onto the bed. Chester would curl up on it instead of the quilt. Guess he liked my smell.

tessagin 10-30-2016 05:31 AM

I agree. It's their cat and if they are willing to put up with it and clean the cat hair periodically then leave it to them. My fur baby canine Brutus sheds more than we thought. Got the vacuum out yesterday to clean under the fridge. Could've made a fur coat with the hair under it. He rarely goes into my sewing room and doesn't get on the bed. Fur is light weight and it flies with every movement. If you don't want pet fur on any of the quilts you make then don't give them to people with pets. Not being nasty making a point. [QUOTE=SuzzyQ;7688492]I don't think they should really mind the cat fur

popover 10-30-2016 05:36 AM

People hair and skin flakes stick to them too. They clean up.

QuiltingVagabond 10-30-2016 05:58 AM

I learned a helpful tip for removing cat hair from furniture - I don't know if would work as well on a quilt. You wear rubber gloves (Playtex type) and vigorously rub the fabric surface. The fur just balls up and then is easy to vacuum away! I thought I was going to have to throw out a perfectly good sofa but now it looks great.