Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cathedral Window (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cathedral-window-t161306.html)

QuiltnNan 10-18-2011 09:05 AM

and thank you Quilt Mom for the link to the tut. i have that bookmarked now.

Scissor Queen 10-18-2011 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I see 3 answers to your problem.

1. Make it scrappy.
2. Purchase 2 bolts of fabric (most bolts are 15 yards) and store them under a bed.
3. Purchase fabric that is consistent, such as Kona or muslin. Of course with this option, you still run a risk that dye lots will change.

Good luck!

I think you can get muslin in 50 yard bolts at JoAnn's. And I think they let you use a 50% off coupon if it isn't already on sale.

greensleeves 10-18-2011 09:57 AM

I just saw a quilt in a show that would typically have been done with all white or cream background. The quilter had used all white but the whites were different, just slightly, and it was beautiful. Gave the quilt character just knowing it wasn't made all at one time and the quilter had to find more white.

sylviasmom 10-18-2011 12:41 PM

I started my about 6 years ago. It is my inbetween projects project. I'm using the thicker cream muslin, extra wide and of course, leftover scraps.

ckcowl 10-18-2011 12:57 PM

i would be worried about that much fabric just being stored becoming discolored with time-
i started my cathedral window project 2 years ago- i work on it here & there- i am using a small print white on white- when i need more i go to the lqs and buy another yard---the thought of it needing 30 yards of fabric is overwhelming enough to make me not even want to work on it- so much easier to just pick up what i need when i need it- a yard or so at a time. different prints of wow fabric just gives it some texture/movement and interest.

Willa 10-18-2011 05:03 PM

I would get it all at one time. I sewed all the blocks first which used the fabric up real fast then I could take the squares with me to join and make the windows.

You have to decide how you want it to look. If you want a uniform look buy all at once. If you don't care if there is a variation and don't want to buy it all at the same time then get just a little and hope there's more of a similar color later.

Phannie1 10-18-2011 05:10 PM

I am working on one now. I have visited 4 Joann's to find enough apple green of one type of fabric. (25 yds) No one store had it in stock. The warehouse had plenty of the same but only shipped to the stores when it was sold. I could not find this color on their website. But I finally got enought and was not sorry. It is turning out beautiful.

shnnn 10-18-2011 05:22 PM

Is that 30 yards of 45" wide fabric? If you bought 108" wide muslin it would 15yards or so, and I think I've seen 120" wide muslin at Joann - so that would be 11 or 12 yards?

Quilt Mom 10-19-2011 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
Is that 30 yards of 45" wide fabric? If you bought 108" wide muslin it would 15yards or so, and I think I've seen 120" wide muslin at Joann - so that would be 11 or 12 yards?

This makes it a little easier to manage, pricewise...

Nancy Ingham 10-20-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Phannie1
I am working on one now. I have visited 4 Joann's to find enough apple green of one type of fabric. (25 yds) No one store had it in stock. The warehouse had plenty of the same but only shipped to the stores when it was sold. I could not find this color on their website. But I finally got enought and was not sorry. It is turning out beautiful.

Please post a photo, would love it see it!!!!!