Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cathedral Windows ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cathedral-windows-t151258.html)

LLWinston44 09-09-2011 06:15 PM

Those colors are great!!

Originally Posted by Phannie1

Originally Posted by malfromcessnock
Anyone care to post a pic of Cathedral Windows?

I am working on one for my granddaughter. I do two rolls of squares about 8 x2 background fabrics, sewn together then when they all have the jewels I then sew them together and add jewels to that row. When done I will have two sections of 8 x 2 joined end to end then the next 2 section will add to the width. I plan on 16 x 18 rolls. so I will be doing 18 sections when done. I find I like handling things in little bits and build the quilt as I go. I can work on the sections as I take trips.

malfromcessnock 09-09-2011 09:28 PM

Phannie1, thanks for the pics. I just may try this one myself, I love the gentleness of the completed one Dena789 posted on the bed.

It's so nice. I love the way the coloured diamonds are framed by that, almost a ruffle - can't imagine how you'd get that look with the one from tutorial.

Come to think of it. From my perspective, they are almost like a totally different design.

LLWinston44 09-09-2011 10:22 PM

Phannie1, thanks for the pics. I just may try this one myself, I love the gentleness of the completed one Dena789 posted on the bed.

It's so nice. I love the way the coloured diamonds are framed by that, almost a ruffle - can't imagine how you'd get that look with the one from tutorial.

Come to think of it. From my perspective, they are almost like a totally different design.

Okay, think I know what you're asking. The "ruffle" is achieved when you place the colored block on the square. Yu then fold over the edge and sew on to the colored block.

Try one. Just make a set if two squares, and one colored block for the window. I used the tutorial I posted, but I'm sure a search on google will get you a variety of tutorials.

malfromcessnock 09-09-2011 10:33 PM

Yeah OK, like many things - they don't become clear until you have given it a go!

Thanks for your patience Kim - hugs

Liz aka Helen 09-09-2011 10:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've been making a gfg of sorts for the last three years that I take with me in the car, here are some pictures

front side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254084[/ATTACH]

back side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254085[/ATTACH]

whip stitch I use to put the hexs together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254086[/ATTACH]

my little sewing box that holds my sewing supplies
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254088[/ATTACH]

Dena789 09-09-2011 10:43 PM

There is just one thing that her tutorial does not tell you to do that I think is really important to get a good outcome. When you bring the final corners together on the base, you should use a needle and thread to make a small X through the points to secure them to the base. Then, when you are joining the base blocks you get a nicer join and a neater looking finish when you add your colors and stitch the edges back.

Hope you all can understand what I`m talking about! LOL

malfromcessnock 09-09-2011 11:31 PM

Gotcha!

LisaR 09-10-2011 03:57 AM

I have a cathedral window as a travel project at the moment . I am camping in a tent and traveling for 3 weeks in Western Australia. I made the background at home and the rest is all hand work I am doing it in strips so it is getting bigger. great project to have on hand

Dena789 09-10-2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dena789
My base units each were cut at 8.5 inches with 1/4 inch seams so each 16-patch section would finish at 16 inches.

So how does that work Dena? Do they each finish at about 4 square inches?

Yes Mal - I cut my base units at 8.5 inches, fold the edges in 1/4" all round but instead of just ironing, I actually whip stitch those edges together, then fold all the corners to center and tack down. The resulting base is a 4" unit.

I like to work in sections of 4 units x 4 units for 16 total. Its an easy size to work with on-the-go.

twixbar 09-10-2011 12:33 PM

Lucky train station, it is beautiful.