Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   caught up in my MQX quilting experience (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/caught-up-my-mqx-quilting-experience-t263855.html)

jmoore 04-10-2015 05:09 PM

caught up in my MQX quilting experience

I thoroughly enjoyed my first MQX experience... had so much fun in an all day class "FMQ from Feathers to Flames" with Leah Day and a classroom filled with enthusiastic quilters of all levels. Class participants were provided with brand new (out of the box) Janome Horizon 8900QCPs to quilt on.

OMGosh, I immediately fell in love... both with Leah and the 8900QCP. Within an hour, I sent a photo of the machine (from my Iphone) to my husband with no text or message, just a photo.... he responded kindly, "did you buy it?" I took that as a supportive response... so YES, yippee... I bought one.

Sadly, I have loved my loyal 6600p Janome for 4 years so I am having a very difficult time deciding if I want to sell or keep her. How to I justify owning two big machines?

GEMRM 04-10-2015 05:12 PM

No need to justify anything - if you will still use it (ie at classes) or to pass along to someone in the family, or as a "critical spare" when the other one is in the shop ...... Can you tell I can justify anything?
I still have my Singer 401, a Featherweight, an Elna 740 (primary machine) and I just got a Husqvarna Designer Ruby Royale for embroidery - I would gift the 401 to someone who truly wants to start into sewing, at least that's what I tell myself, but then I talk myself out of it because it's such a work horse! So good for sewing canvas etc and I've had it for 45 years, bought it used!

GEMRM 04-10-2015 05:13 PM

All this extra sewing machine stuff came in handy this past winter - my friend from out of province came to town for a quilt retreat and I "loaned" her one of my machines so she didn't have to bring hers via air.

sewingstash 04-10-2015 05:26 PM

Well... if your machine ever goes in the shop for awhile you will have a backup machine. Sometimes they don't give you very much for a trade in too. I have quite a collection of machines. Newer model Bernina 830, Bernina 200 Bernina 1630, Singer featherweights, Singer 66-1 Redeye Treadle, Singer 15-30 Treadle, Gammill Classic Plus, Babylock Evolve Serger. Life is short.

Peckish 04-10-2015 06:54 PM

Don't get rid of it!! You need a backup machine! :D

luvstoquilt301 04-10-2015 07:34 PM

Do you go places and sew? The 6600 is really heavy. You could consider selling that one and getting a nice light one. I have the 6600 and a smaller Janome. I think it is the perfect combo. I have a back up machine and a lightweight one to take places.

quiltingcandy 04-10-2015 08:23 PM

I agree with the others - you should keep them both. In my sewing room I have my Singer 15-91 which is in a cabinet, a Damascus treadle, a Viking/Husqvarna Topaz 20 (it is set up for embroidery right now on a cabinet) and my Janome 6600P which is set up in the Janome table it came with. Each machine is used for something else - and when my friend comes over to sew with me it is usually to use my embroidery machine - but it is all set up and ready to do.
(I also have a Eurpro to take traveling and 2 FW's to take for classes.)

ManiacQuilter2 04-11-2015 05:18 AM

I would keep it. When you favorite baby is in the shop getting a tune up (just like a car), you have a back up DSM.

quiltingbuddy 04-11-2015 09:16 AM

Great way to get a new machine. What a sweet hubby you have!

And what is MQX? I feel so behind the times LoL.

tessagin 04-11-2015 09:21 AM

I agree. What is a MQX?

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy (Post 7161371)
Great way to get a new machine. What a sweet hubby you have!

And what is MQX? I feel so behind the times LoL.