Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Caution When Shipping (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/caution-when-shipping-t312179.html)

Watson 08-18-2020 09:39 AM

Caution When Shipping

Someone I know shipped two quilts and a number of smaller items to her long-armer and the delivery person left the package on the porch and it was stolen. I'm just sick for her.

Be sure to require a signature if you are shipping anything, these day!

Watson

Rhonda K 08-18-2020 01:23 PM

That is so sad. Yes, to add signature required for delivery.

You can also sign up for text alerts from major carriers to know when packages are delivered. They can be delivered to drop off points for pick up.

Onebyone 08-19-2020 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 8411072)
Someone I know shipped two quilts and a number of smaller items to her long-armer and the delivery person left the package on the porch and it was stolen. I'm just sick for her.

Be sure to require a signature if you are shipping anything, these day!

Watson

Add signature required isn't a guarantee a signature will be asked for. I learned that by experience.

Railroadersbrat 08-19-2020 04:54 AM

I'm lucky to live in such a rural location, my front yard is huge and it would take some serious guts to walk all the way down to the house to steal any of my packages. I actually have it set up that my carrier leave all my packages inside my car, then he locks the doors but I also get text messages when things are delivered. I had that set up a couple of years ago during an extreme heatwave because he's an older gentleman and the thought of having him carry my packages all the way down to the house just made me worry for him. He loved the setup so much that he's had others on his route do the same thing with their packages, he likes the added security that everything is locked up tight in our cars.

It does make me sick to know there are people out there that will steal anything they can get their hands on. USPS, UPS, FedEx, all three have text alert options, signing up for an account is free and it just takes a moment or two to set it up. I even track packages back and forth from my family, you just never know anymore.

juliasb 08-19-2020 05:00 AM

If I am expecting an important package and I am not going to be home to get it I either have someone come over to watch for it or I ask a neighbor to keep and eye open for the delivery. I do the same for them. This porch pirate thing is getting out of control. The person that stole this package will unfortunately toss it some where. So Sad. I had an acquaintance at my last guild who had a prize winning quilt stolen or lost during the delivery process. She only insured it for $1000. Even that was under insured. Never to see the quilt again. She was shipping the quilt to a quilt show in Washington State.
My heart goes out to your friend.

Mdegenhart 08-19-2020 05:08 AM

I’m pretty sure the shippers are exempting themselves from the signature requirement to be “contact free” for COVID. At least some of them are.

Jordan 08-19-2020 06:14 AM

That is a sad situation and it makes me sick to my stomach! I hope the items will be recovered at some time soon. The person that stole them probably just took a chance as to what was in the packages. I never, never mail my quilts for fear of this happening. When my cousin moved from Colorado to New Mexico the movers helped themselves to 2 of her quilts. This makes me mad and sad that someone takes something that does not belong to them.

Tartan 08-19-2020 06:37 AM

Oh man, that’s so sad!

sewbizgirl 08-19-2020 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8411223)
Add signature required isn't a guarantee a signature will be asked for. I learned that by experience.

Me too. I ordered something very valuable and a signature was definitely required. The deliverer just stuck it in my mailbox, which has been stolen from before. No signature was asked of us, although it said "signature required" right on the label. Next time I order something of value I will tell the post office to hold it for pickup. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/redface.png

Lady Diana 08-19-2020 06:53 AM

The excuse of not wanting to do sigatures because of Covidl is ludicrous. When getting groceries from walmart, they need a signature....I just tell them through the door to sign my name, since we are face to face and the delivery was made to a person at the door. Covid is being used a lot for lazy customer service these days.