Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   chalk pouncer or other marking tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chalk-pouncer-other-marking-tools-t305532.html)

Onebyone 07-01-2019 09:42 AM

TheCrayola Ultra Clean markers (I won't use any other brand) have always came completely out in the wash. Even when I ironed over them before washing.

MarionsQuilts 07-01-2019 09:52 AM

i have both and prefer the crayola markers - even if it's a heavily marked quilt.

the markings do come out if you spray the quilt top with water ... it doesn't have to go in the machine. I've done it when I've made a mistake in the markings and had no problems.

ekuw 07-01-2019 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by j50 (Post 8271994)
How long does the blue marker stay on the fabric?

I have some that are air soluble markers but they do not last very long... like minutes

The blue marker stays until it's spritzed or machine washed. I agree about those air soluble markers; my luck has been seconds rather than minutes!

When I tried the washable markers on my sample fabric, I had to really rub it with water to get the marks to go away. Spritzing did nothing. For one of the darker colors I tried, you could still see it faintly. That's why I assume that you have to machine wash.

Stitchnripper 07-01-2019 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by j50 (Post 8271963)
Great info.

Does the Crayola Ultra Washable marker wash out with a spritz of water or does it have to be washed in a machine??

it has to be washed out but that isn’t a problem for me since I wash all my quilts anyway

quiltingshorttimer 07-02-2019 08:19 PM

Using stencils (unless the kind with mesh openings which require a pounce to work right) I use either a foam paint brush with plain white chalk, or a blue water soluble marking pens. If I just want a quick mark for a immediate quilting, I'll use a purple air erasable marker. I also use a Bohnin chalk cartridge (avoid yellow) and sometimes the F & P ceramic chalk marker for fine lines. I've used the Crayola Ultra Clean Markers twice--the first time no issues, but the second time was a disaster. It was a friend's baby quilt and the center motif would not wash out. Took 3 washings. Gave the markers to the grandsons!

citruscountyquilter 07-03-2019 09:29 AM

I like the air erasable (purple) marker and mark as I go. I use Leonis brand which I get on Amazon as they don't dry out as fast. Marks will last 30-45 minutes before I can't see them well enough. With the blue water soluble ones you can spritz and they will disappear to some extent however if any of the marker has soaked through the fabric into the batting you will see some more blue residue. You really need to wash it to get it all out.

quiltedsunshine 07-03-2019 05:34 PM

I like to use the Frixion pens. I'll spritz the marked area with water, then roll it in the dryer. Takes it out really well.

I also like General's "charcoal" pencils for marking on dark fabrics. Better than chalk and brushes off with a lint brush.

Pounce white chalk brushes off so easily, it's not there long enough to complete my design.

j50 07-04-2019 01:08 AM

ultra-clean washable crayons by crayola

So I heard about crayola ultra-clean washable crayons and decided to start with these. Already did a test to see if they washed out. The first batch did after waiting just a few minutes and now I have just rinsed out by hand the ones that have been on the fabric for 12 hours. Works good. I used flannel and cotton fabrics.

Will let you know in 24 hours how the rest come out.

I decided to try crayons first because I heard that the markers sometimes dry out before you get a chance to use them..

The plus side to these crayons is they come in lots of colors and will not dry out.

I got the 64 color box. There is only one white crayon but many others that work well on dark fabrics.

Very inexpensive 7 bucks :thumbup: at Joanne fabrics on sale!

Stitchnripper 07-04-2019 03:57 AM

The markers come out best In the washer with detergent. At least for me. I always test them first on a scrap. They don’t always come out completely with a spritz if water.

j50 07-05-2019 03:10 AM

Well it has been 24 hours since my last test started with the washable crayons. They came out with just a spritz of water and a little hand rubbing.

Will try on a whole quilt and let you know.

This seems to be the answer for me now.

Crayola ultra clean washable crayons.:p