Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Changed my mind...took it back in the middle of the night!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/changed-my-mind-took-back-middle-night-t251312.html)

kay carlson 08-04-2014 06:12 AM

Changed my mind...took it back in the middle of the night!!!

I find it hard to wrap my mind around the fact that I had not considered re-purposing the computer desk.

Here's the story. The desk was no longer being used as we had disposed of the tower, monitor, etc. Without built in storage space, we were eager to put this unit out at the curb for "free." During the night, the concept of using the desk in the sewing room broke through the haze. I got out of bed, dressed, and went out to the curb to drag the desk back to the garage!

This computer desk is especially sturdy so I have a wonderful area for cutting and trimming. We took down a 6 foot folding table I had not enjoyed using for cutting because the surface area dipped downward from the pressure of rotary cutter. Now the desk is up on bed risers and it the perfect height for my work. The waste basket fits nicely in the space formerly used for the tower. Thank goodness, no one had come along to take the desk away! :-)

toverly 08-04-2014 06:15 AM

Smart thinking! Now that you mention it, the lower surface of many computer desks would be just the right height for a sewing machine. I may have to keep my eye out for one. Thanks!

tessagin 08-04-2014 06:16 AM

I have done the same thing, had something sitting on the curb then went to retrieve it in the middle of the night. When I got back into the house DH met me at the door with a gun. I was being followed by 2 coyotes. Couple lucky gals we are! Don't you have bears in your neck of the woods?

MrsDerf 08-04-2014 06:17 AM

In the middle of the night! That is too funny. Glad you made it in time. Enjoy your new (recycled) work space.

Buckeye Rose 08-04-2014 06:29 AM

I love repurposed things.... I recently deconstructed an entertainment center and used the boards for shelving in my closet....and just this past weekend I found a section of laminate countertop at menards for $10 that I attached to the top of an old microwave cart...now I have a cutting table in my sewing room (previously used the top of my dryer)....creativity is wonderful and cheap!

Tartan 08-04-2014 06:38 AM

Good save! Thank goodness the idea didn't come to you a couple of days later!

ManiacQuilter2 08-04-2014 06:49 AM

I have a computer desk that is made from gorgeous Oak. I am downsizing to a smaller box but still will use my computer desk. You were luck to have grabbed it in the middle of the night because just before dawn are when the people who search for repurposing items come out searching for discarded items.

Terri D. 08-04-2014 07:01 AM

Cool! I repurposed a kid table my husband made for our boys when they were little and now use it behind the sewing machine to support my quilts during machine quilting.

kay carlson 08-04-2014 07:05 AM

Tessagin, we don't have bears in our neighborhood, but the bears are around just a couple of miles down the road. The Department of Natural Resources suggests taking down the bird feeders.

We do have deer (who love some of my flowers), a fox, lots of bunnies, beautiful eagles!

garysgal 08-04-2014 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6831250)
I have done the same thing, had something sitting on the curb then went to retrieve it in the middle of the night. When I got back into the house DH met me at the door with a gun. I was being followed by 2 coyotes. Couple lucky gals we are! Don't you have bears in your neck of the woods?

I had to laugh at this! I'm glad you're ok, but the mental picture of your husband meeting you at the door with a gun...reminds me of when we lived in Montana.