Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Changing needles?? Schedule?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/changing-needles-schedule-t220785.html)

Chester the bunny 05-05-2013 12:51 PM

Changing needles?? Schedule??

It occured to me that the only time that I change my needle other than when it breaks, is when the machine starts to make a clunking sound. Is it hard on the machine to not change it regularly after a certain amount of hours of sewing? Do all of you change your needles on a regular basis?

ghostrider 05-05-2013 01:28 PM

I try to stick with the recommended 8 hours of machine use between changes, but it's probably more than that. That would be a great add-on for machines...a timer that automatically clocks machine running time and buzzes at 8 hours while flashing a message on the display screen. A lot of quilters change needles at the beginning of each project, at the same time they clean out all the bobbin lint.

charsuewilson 05-05-2013 01:38 PM

It's been suggested that you change the needle every time you start a new project. So, if you call a queen/King size quilt a project, you could probably do 2 smaller quilts before changing the needle. I don't always change my needle this often, but I did have a lot of needles breaking when I was using the Flynn frame ( I think it was loaded improperly)

Stitchnripper 05-05-2013 01:52 PM

I don't change needles til they break. Not too often. None of my machines are fussy with needles or threads.

loves_2_quilt 05-05-2013 01:54 PM

I change the needle when I start a new project and when I finish it I change it again before I start quilting.
Debbie

WTxRed 05-05-2013 02:02 PM

I'm the one who doesn't seem to ever remember to change my needle... i used the original one in my most recent purchase for 22 quilt projects. i didn't have any issues - no barbs, no snags, no 'large' holes, nothing - didn't even 'think' about it until I was reading the owner's manual trying to find the correct foot for something!

trennag 05-05-2013 02:21 PM

I change mine at the end of each large project when I am cleaning my bobbin case, or after two small projects like baby quilts.

pocoellie 05-05-2013 03:02 PM

I don't change my needle unless it breaks, which is very seldom and that's usually due to the fact that I moved the needle and changed the needle plate and forgot to move it back, or I need a different size due to the fabric, but I will reuse the needle. I've never had any problems with clunking, snagging, etc.

susie-susie-susie 05-05-2013 03:09 PM

I don't change my needle very often. I've never had a problem and I seldom break a needle. Sometimes I think about changing the needle, but forget by the next time I use the machine. Short attention span I guess. lol
Sue

franc36 05-05-2013 03:15 PM

Until I got my current machine, I almost never changed my needle. When I bought this machine, 13 years ago, I was told to change my needle every 8 hours. I change my needle with each new project. Like Ghostrider, I think an 8 hour timer on the machine would be a great idea. I do use lots of different needles for different kinds of sewing.