Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Changing quilts for the seasons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/changing-quilts-seasons-t248350.html)

sandyfullmer 06-12-2014 01:40 PM

Changing quilts for the seasons

How many of you change out your quilts displayed in your home by the seasons? I try to do it, but storing all the quilts can become a bit if a problem. I don't have a spare bed to spread them on for storage.

QuiltnNan 06-12-2014 01:51 PM

i love quilted items for the different seasons. since i don't have spare room either, i make mine small enough to hang on the front door, the wall, or the refrigerator.

Nammie to 7 06-12-2014 02:06 PM

I always have quilts draped over the backs of couches and chairs in my house. We like to have couch throw size quilts available to us at all times.

franc36 06-12-2014 02:11 PM

I make quilts for my sister, my daughters, my grandchildren, and my daughter's 3 foster children. I have made them all Spring, summer, fall, and Christmas quilts as well as quilts based on their hobbies. I also make them throws to use in the theatre room or when sitting in a chair reading. I let them worry about where to store the quilts.

Doggramma 06-12-2014 04:28 PM

I change them. The big ones are folded and stacked in a spare closet with guest bedding. The smaller ones are kept in a jumbo plastic tote. I love changing out quilts and other decorations for the seasons/holidays.

SingerSewer 06-12-2014 05:13 PM

When my grandmother was alive she changed everything including the curtains for spring and summer then fall and winter. She had heavy curtains during the cold months and light sheers during the summer. Loved to see what quilts she put on the beds. She had winter quilts and summer quilts. The summer quilts didn't have batting. She had a few for in between weather. They had flannel for the batting. She was quite a lady and I learned so much from her.

newbee3 06-12-2014 05:18 PM

I have a spring quilt,, and now I have a fall quilt it still needs binding, I do have my winter quilt with wool batting all done.

Pagzz 06-12-2014 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer (Post 6756327)
When my grandmother was alive she changed everything including the curtains for spring and summer then fall and winter. She had heavy curtains during the cold months and light sheers during the summer. Loved to see what quilts she put on the beds. She had winter quilts and summer quilts. The summer quilts didn't have batting. She had a few for in between weather. They had flannel for the batting. She was quite a lady and I learned so much from her.

thanks for sharing. I love this idea.

Sewfine 06-12-2014 05:52 PM

I have quilted wall hangings and table runners/toppers for all seasons and holidays for my home and office. Have not gotten around to making quilts for every seasons/holiday. Working on it.

jo bauer 06-12-2014 06:59 PM

I, too, change out quilts big and small for the seasons. In the winter right after Thanksgiving I change out some of the quilts again to have someplace the put up/out the Christmas quilts. They come down/off after Jan. 1 and back to the winter stuff. Storage can become a problem. Every inch of extra closet, cupboard, and cabinet space is in use. Finally, went to Walmart and bought several under the bed bins. They're long and narrow so will even hold a king-size quilt with some judicious folding. It's good to get the quilts out, aired and refolded at least once a year, and changing them out for the season is a good way to get this done.