Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Channel locks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/channel-locks-t282189.html)

true4uca 09-14-2016 03:14 PM

Channel locks

Is there something I can use as channel locks (I don't have them) to keep my machine steady as I Baste my quilt top.

Onebyone 09-14-2016 03:26 PM

Channel Locks are pliers. Vice Grips are locking pliers. Do you mean clamps?

Prism99 09-14-2016 03:34 PM

Are you talking about frame quilting? On my Hinterberg carriage, I use small plastic spring clips from the hardware store that look like this: https://www.amazon.com/Evelots-Plast...dp/B00IEG3H0W/ . I place the clamp on the carriage in front of one of the rear carriage wheels; this stops the carriage from moving forward. When I baste the top of the quilt, I am simply careful to keep a little pressure on the machine handle, pulling the machine towards me as I baste across.

Not all clamps work, depending on your setup. I bought several small plastic clamps at the big box hardware store and kept the receipt so I could return the ones that didn't work. I prefer ratchet clamps to spring clamps, but the ratchet clamps are bigger and didn't fit on my carriage well. You can use 2 clamps, one in front of each rear wheel, to ensure you don't inadvertently dislodge a single clamp while you are basting.

Of course, this works only for basting from one side to the other. I assume that's what you are wanting to do.

Prism99 09-14-2016 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7652836)
Channel Locks are pliers. Vice Grips are locking pliers. Do you mean clamps?

I think some of the more upscale setups have electronic channel locks.

dunster 09-14-2016 03:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I do the same as Prism for basting across the top or (sometimes) down the sides of the quilt. I didn't purchase the electric channel locks for my Innova. The little spring clamps that I got at Home Depot are about 2 inches long and very strong. I think they cost about 27 cents.

ka9sdn 09-15-2016 04:24 AM

Check on line for the channel locks. I have an HQ Avante and they have them on their site where I got them for my HQ Sixteen that I had before my Avante. They are plastic and you just snap them on. I am sure the other mfg. have them too.

Onebyone 09-15-2016 04:58 AM

How interesting. I've never basted on a frame so never thought about this.

dunster 09-15-2016 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7653191)
How interesting. I've never basted on a frame so never thought about this.

It's not exactly basting in the usual sense of putting in large stitches that will later be removed. The typical sequence is to load your backing on the longarm, then place the batting on top, and run a line of stitches across the top of the batting, securing it to the backing and also providing an absolutely straight line. You then line the quilt top up with that straight line, and run another line of stitches along the top of the quilt top, within the seam alowance so it won't show after the quilt is bound. Using the channel locks to run a line of stitches down the sides of the quilt, through the batting and the backing, gives you a line to align the top with, again assuring that it is square on the frame.

true4uca 09-15-2016 09:02 AM

Yes this is what I was thinking about. I had read of using little spring lips. I'm such a visual person, I need t see it as well as read about it. Thank you so much for posting this picture. Now I just need to go to home depot, now I know what to look for and how to use them.

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7652850)
I do the same as Prism for basting across the top or (sometimes) down the sides of the quilt. I didn't purchase the electric channel locks for my Innova. The little spring clamps that I got at Home Depot are about 2 inches long and very strong. I think they cost about 27 cents.

tessagin 09-15-2016 10:28 AM

I have these and a few others. multiple uses. I have some in kitchen for bag clamps.

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7652850)