Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Charity Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/charity-quilt-question-t24656.html)

mpspeedy 08-26-2009 10:30 AM

I make a lot of Linus quilts. THe kind I make the most are usually 1.5 yards long and the width of the fabric so that I can use a solid piece for the back. I like to use some kind of theme print when possible. There are a lot of carton character, racing, sports and baby prints and or panels available. I also like to use flannel on the back when possible. It also comes in various themes. I picked up three yards of Hanna Montana print lavender flannel today on sale. I will be able to make two Linus quilts from that. If I get a smaller panel or even a theme bandana I put borders on it to make it big enough. I am currently working with a huge roll of poly batting that is 60 inches wide. People donate fabric to the Linus project and they purchase the batting for those of us who are willing to use up the donated fabric in quilts for the project. I have already made 6 quilts using that batting in the past week. The measurements someone else mentioned for infants, toddlers, teens and adult lap robes are all good. If I am using say fatquarters I often make the disappearing nine patch and add borders as needed. I pillowcase the whole thing and then machine quilt them with a decorate stitch enough to hold them firmly together.
I don't bother with tax deductions etc. I probably could but I can't be bothered.

Bluphrog 08-26-2009 12:11 PM

I use one focus fabric and several coordinating fabrics, and start cutting squares and strips for 8-1/2" (unfinished) blocks. I end up with blocks that are square, 2-rectangle, 4-rectangle, and 4-patch. I sew them in 4-block rows, 5 rows (or 20 blocks per quilt), then put a 3" border all around. Makes a 38" x 46" quilt.

The last ones I did, I found a puzzle piece print and had 8 different solids. Once I finished sewing pieces together, I had 100 blocks -- enough for 5 quilts. Now if I can ever get them quilted . . . .

MadQuilter 08-26-2009 04:00 PM

I like 4/patch or 9/patch with an alternating print square.

butterflywing 08-31-2009 06:05 PM

i like to do diagonal strippy squares out of any scraps on hand. they can be different widths, too. but you can put the blocks together in all kinds of ways to change the quilt pattern, so it doesn't get boring. also, if you keep the foundations on hand, you can do it as soon as the pieces show up, then stack them up, ready to be put together.

suelarkin 07-11-2010 04:28 PM

The turning twenty is twenty fat quarters. These are not small quilts, they're pretty good sized(about a twin). We made the twisting turning twenty with 20 crazy fabrics. It's very cute, and what I would call a "comfort quilt." I won't make another one, however.

suelarkin 07-11-2010 04:34 PM

I think the 4 Patch is the easiest charity quilt I ever made. We made them for Kids Quilts. Also, I made the 'Just Can't Cut It' using only 9 blocks (5 of these blocks were 12 inches square). This was very easy too.

Judlou 07-13-2010 03:01 AM

I am in charge of charity quilts for local nusing homes this year at my guild. We will get togather on National Quilt DAY to do up our quilts. I am collecting 5' charms so we can do the dissappearing 9 patch (the simple one). there is many things you can do with this block and I need quilts for lap size and wheel chair people. Older people in nursinghomes are always cold