Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Charity qults (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/charity-qults-t136975.html)

NUTMEG10 07-12-2011 03:17 AM

I was just reading the article on "Do you make charity quilts". I am wondering if you all use batting and what kind do you use. At todays prices it does become very expensive when you are on a limited income.

sall 07-12-2011 03:21 AM

I make a lot of charity quilts and I buy the standard poly from the roll. I also use it in other quilts, and do know that it washes and wears fine. My grandaughter who is 4 has the same in hers and this is continually getting washed.

leatheflea 07-12-2011 03:33 AM

I buy it by the roll and with a joanns 50% off coupon. Also save the scrap pieces of batting and piece those together for small projects like baby quilts, lap quilts, table runners. Warm and natural most of the time. Poly If I dont want the shrinkage.

Shelbie 07-12-2011 03:35 AM

I find Hobbs Polydown to be excellent batting. I buy it on the roll (30 yards, 108" wide) about $6 a yard in Canada. It quilts well, no thick or thin places, washes and wears well. I use this for all baby, kid or college bound quilts and for all our Community Quilts.

PrettyCurious 07-12-2011 05:08 AM

So far, I just make the quilt tops, out of fabric purchased with my own money.
The lady who heads the Miracle quilt project buys batting by the bolt - using a 50% off coupon, of course.

amma 07-12-2011 08:35 AM

Thinner blankets for batting found on sale/thrift stores, omit batting and use fleece for the backing/batting, shop clearance sales for batting. :D:D:D

Annie68 07-12-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by NUTMEG10
I was just reading the article on "Do you make charity quilts". I am wondering if you all use batting and what kind do you use. At todays prices it does become very expensive when you are on a limited income.

It can become expensive,but as the others have suggested buying poly batts with coupons and such helps. Also, do as few or as many as you can, even one is a help to the charity of your choice.

Annie

justflyingin 07-12-2011 11:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Annie68

Originally Posted by NUTMEG10

It can become expensive,but as the others have suggested buying poly batts with coupons and such helps. Also, do as few or as many as you can, even one is a help to the charity of your choice.

Annie

Yes, and some people (like me) gladly take quilt tops and finish them in order to give them away. I can get poly batting for about $2/meter. Here are some people who got our quilts in the last few Christmas times.

justflyingin 07-12-2011 12:14 PM

But that wasn't a subtle request for quilt tops....I have enough to finish up now and I have about 60 to give away this year...so I'm okay for now, but if someone has Polish ancestry and feels compelled to help out the Polish people in Poland....;)

But really...it's not a request. I've had so many people help already--and I'm so grateful!

Awesumpunk 08-14-2011 12:33 PM

Since it is the summer in my quilts I don't use batting. They come out thick as it is... don't want to bake the child that gets it.