Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Charm Packs, what do you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/charm-packs-what-do-you-do-t184260.html)

gaby4v 03-28-2012 04:55 PM

Make place mats with them. Or like a previous poster suggested, use the Twister tool....so much fun!!

jaciqltznok 03-28-2012 04:56 PM

tote bags! Re gift them!

MaryLane 03-28-2012 05:02 PM

Place mats are a good idea. I need some. I was going to do a disappearing 4-patch with some when I bought them but when I try to sort them, I just freeze.

I don't do well trying to use all of a fabric line. I also have some FQs that have been setting a long time. Some of them I gave up and sorted into my stash by color and finally used them.

I think my OCD requires a little more "matching" than the huge selections of fabric lend themselves to.

Thanks for all you ideas.

I hadn't considered miniature quilts. My rule used to be if it is less than 2 1/2" it goes in the garbage. I am now down to 1 1/2" for some things!

Judith1005 03-28-2012 05:04 PM

I saw a pattern recently...You take a nine patch block and cut it width wise in half and length wise in half. It makes a new block. Then you just turn it any way you want. 2 charm packs is enough for a lap size quilt. It was really cool. This is not my idea and I can't remember which blog I saw it on. I will keep looking and post if I can find it.

Lori S 03-28-2012 05:15 PM

As mentioned earlier , any of the three books in the "Nickel quilt" series is a great place to look for inspiration... but be careful you might just start collecting more charm squares after seeing some of the patterns.

sewbizgirl 03-28-2012 05:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These are some tops I made with charm squares. Some of the charms have been cut in half, some in quarters, and in the last top I cut two half hexagons out of each charm.

0tis 03-28-2012 05:53 PM

If you have the dresden ruler - you can use it to make dresden plates - I used a charm pack (you can get two dresden plates per charm square) and made throw pillows or table toppers. Since you get two blades per charm square - it only takes 20 blades per dresden plate - the charm pack contains 40 or 42 squares - you can make 4 dresden plates. Good luck and have fun.

mrs. fitz 03-28-2012 06:18 PM

Missouri Star Quilt has a number of tutorials on YouTube and several feature charm packs. I did Scrappy 4 Patch which gives you small squares without having to cut them or sew the small pieces together. Take a look, lots of good stuff from a first-rate company.

rageddy 03-28-2012 06:47 PM

I definitely would try the twister tool, table runners use up a charm pack.

Handcraftsbyjen 03-29-2012 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 5098207)
These are some tops I made with charm squares. Some of the charms have been cut in half, some in quarters, and in the last top I cut two half hexagons out of each charm.

What is the name of the 2nd picture you posted?