Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chatelaine anyone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chatelaine-anyone-t256427.html)

Sew Krazy Girl 11-06-2014 07:35 PM

Chatelaine anyone?

Hand sewing is enjoyable and soothing for me and I'm interested in making myself a chatelaine. When searching Google nothing appealed to me. I realize most have to be personalized with the items the user especially likes and needs. The ones I've seen are made with a ribbon and felt at both ends. Isn't that too simplistic? If you have one that works for you will you share ideas and a picture? I'm open to all suggestions.

Gramie bj 11-06-2014 08:24 PM

I looked up chatelaine on Bing and they have some beautiful ones pictured, looked like decorative metal to hook on belt and fine chains.

Vicki1212 11-06-2014 10:28 PM

You learn something everyday! :p I had no idea what a chatelaine was until this post. So I can spend as much time as I want on this forum because it's educational!! :D

mawluv 11-07-2014 03:07 AM

I use one that I made years ago. I took a yard of very pretty vintage ribbon and sewed velcro to one end and looped my scissors to it. Then I made a little rectangled pc, 2" X 3", and stuffed it only half full with cotton/poly. Then I made a small bag of sand, the same weight as my small scissors, put it inside the pc, buried it in the stuffing and attached it to the other end of the ribbon. It stays on my neck all day and never slides off. My scissors and pins are always with me. I'd be lost without it!!!!

bjchad 11-07-2014 04:36 AM

I believe Craftsy has some patterns in their sewing patterns and it might be that some are either free or very cheap.

MarLeClair 11-07-2014 07:24 AM

I am so glad this came up. I have wanted to make one but can't find exactly the one I want. I am drafting my own pattern. One which will hold my scissors, some needles, maybe some pins I accumulate at quilt shows. I think it is going to be a scarf type made of cotton with interfacing. It may also have a couple of pockets. I hope someone will have a picture that will inspire us.

DebraK 11-07-2014 07:41 AM

this google search came up with lots of great ideas...
quilted chatelaine pattern

tessagin 11-07-2014 08:34 AM

Couldn't remember what a chatelaine was. Remember my Grandmother had one and have seen Amish women carry chatelaine purses (very black and simple) with them often when out and about. Would be great gifts for quilting guilds and bee friends.

Divokittysmom 11-07-2014 08:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I love chatelaines and have seen some beautiful ones! When I was in ASG we made one for ourselves using a very basic pattern. I added a Pincushion Doll to mine and a needle book. This was all fabric no chains. I have my grandmother's thimble in a tiny crocheted thimble holder. The pincushion doll was from a Martha Pullen Sew Beautiful Magazine. It was really fun to make!

QuiltnNan 11-07-2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom (Post 6959634)
I love chatelaines and have seen some beautiful ones! When I was in ASG we made one for ourselves using a very basic pattern. I added a Pincushion Doll to mine and a needle book. This was all fabric no chains. I have my grandmother's thimble in a tiny crocheted thimble holder. The pincushion doll was from a Martha Pullen Sew Beautiful Magazine. It was really fun to make!

how beautiful this is!