Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chattanooga, Knoxville/Maryville, Gatlinburg . . . quilt shops? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chattanooga-knoxville-maryville-gatlinburg-quilt-shops-t19772.html)

fabricluvr 05-05-2009 03:55 PM

working on our vacation itinerary and i need to know where to put in extra shopping time :D

would like to here from personal experience rather than the google/yellow pages run-around - any good/great shops in these areas? :D

tnjacke 05-05-2009 07:49 PM

HI, I live in the Sevierville area and there are several quilt shops in the locations you are looking.. and they get their fair share of my money.
Maryville has 2,
Sevierville area has 3, all great places to shop
Gatlinburg has one small shop but I haven't been there.
Knoxville has 2 that I visit plus a large JoAnn's. I am sure there are probably more in Knoxville, but I only shop at these two.
Cosby just outside Gatlinburg in the mountains has 1.
I know Chattanooga has one, have purchased from them at quilt shows and sure there must be more.

If you would like more details as to locations, names and directions just PM me with your email. It would take too much space to list them here.

Also coming to Knoxville July 22-15, is the AQS Quilt Show that is usually held in Nashville, there are sure to be lots of vendors there.

Hope this helps some.
Jacke

wesing 05-05-2009 07:56 PM

Chattanooga has Lavender Lime - they have their own line of books and a pretty good selection of fabrics. I don't know of any others.

Knoxville has:

Mamaw's Thimble; a HUGE store with lots of fabrics. They also have lots of books and notions.

Sewing Machines Etc; she specializes in Pfaff machines, and not exclusively quilting, but has a great selection of fabrics.

Gina's Bernina; also a large store with lots of fabrics and books.

Cat Lover's (or maybe Purrfect something...sorry I've only been there once...she loves cats and quilting) This is a newer shop I think. They have less fabrics than the others, but their fabrics are not the same ones you see at other shops.

Maryville has Pappy's (or Poppy's) Quilting Place. This is a good shop with a good selection of unusual fabrics. If I lived closer this would be my "home" shop.

Sevierville has:

The Cherry Pit. Also a good shop with a good selection. This shop is run by two sisters (I have heard) and they are very "folksy" and friendly.

Machine Quilting by Iva. They seem to specialize in children's/juvenile fabrics. Lots of brights and kid prints, but also good selections of basics.

Gatlinburg has a smallish shop in the "Artist Colony" section. I can't remember the name of the shop. I've only been there once, and I don't remember them having a ton of fabric, but hey had assembled sets of 10 or 12 FQs and we bought two of them. I think the prices on the sets were good.

If I've left anybody out I apologize. I'm trying to remember where all we went for the shop hop last year and who impressed us.

If you're a real bargain hunter and up for a drive, go to Tazewell and check out the outlet type shop they have up there. We have bought literally tote bins full of fabric for $60 or $70. The selection isn't huge, but they do have some unusual fabrics and some great "filler" fabrics. We have even picked up huge quantities of prints to use for backs.

Keep in mind when I say great selection I am comparing the shops to others that I have seen, of which there are few. I understand there are some shops un NC that have thousands of bolts of fabric, so you may have a different impression than mine. Be sure and post a report when you get home. Hope this helps.

Darren

fabricluvr 05-05-2009 09:13 PM

wow - thanks Jacke and Darren - can't wait now!

any more that anyone knows about?

CajunQuilter2 05-06-2009 01:22 AM

Patty,
I was just in Gatlinburg over spring break & visited the quilt shop there. It is small but nice & I did manage to leave them with a big chunk of my money :lol: . If you are going to be in the Chattanooga area you might want to check out Sew-Bee-It in Ringgold Ga. which is just a hop skip & jump from Chat. I have been there and is a very nice store, also managed to leave alot of my money there.
Good luck and have fun!!

fabricluvr 05-06-2009 04:30 AM

thanks Myrna, i'm taking notes!

fabricluvr 05-06-2009 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by fabricluvr
working on our vacation itinerary and i need to know where to put in extra shopping time :D

would like to here from personal experience rather than the google/yellow pages run-around - any good/great shops in these areas? :D

ugh! can't believe i did that -

'would like to 'hear' from personal experience - *sigh*

tnjacke 05-06-2009 10:36 AM

In Maryville, There is " The Rooster Quilt Shoppe" on 411 South at US 129 just about 5 miles on the south side of Maryville. A good selection can be found there.

The Cherry Pit in downtown Sevierville is actually owned by George and Jane Washington, hence the name Cherry Pit. Their is very nice and helpful, tons of fabrics and patterns.

Gatlinburg has "Mountain Stitches by Susan" out in the Glades Craft Area.

Exquisite Quilting is located between Sevierville and Knoxville on Highway 441.

Loose Threads in Harriman is a little further SW from Maryville and Knoxville, and is a great shop.

Pappy's Quilting is outside of Maryville on 411 North toward Sevierville.
I visit there often as it is only about 10 miles from me.

Machine Quilting by Iva has several rooms of all types of fabrics. A very large selection of batiks, charm packs and jelly rolls, a room of nothing but CW fabrics. Iva carries most of the major brands and is a very popular shop. All kinds of patterns, and the best part it is only about 3 - 4 miles from my home. Can you tell I buy a lot there..... ???

Holloway's is located in Cosby on US 321 outside of Gatlinburg going toward Newport. A bit out of the way and the layout is a bit crowded with her displays but still a good shop to visit. She has a bed with tons of completed quilts in the shop and all types of patterns, mostly her own designs.

There are others in smaller towns but it depends on the route you take to get to Knoxville / Gatlinburg. If interested let me know.

fabricluvr 05-06-2009 11:25 AM

wow - thank tnjacke - looks like i need to add a couple of nights to knoxville and gatlinburg! we're doing the loop - down 75 to chattanooga, back up to knoxville/maryville, over to gatlinburg (all interstates where possible).

we're actually making the trip to see if we like the Maryville area. DH has read that it is a nice retirement area. :)

Tippy 05-07-2009 07:40 AM

Just so you know... Roosters just opened another room a couple of weeks ago... all sale fabric.. it was all 3.99/yd with a 1 yard minimum as of last week... and if you're going to be in the Maryville area let me know.. maybe we can have coffee!! I'll give you a couple of hints on the area also if you are interested in them.