Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cheap serger thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cheap-serger-thread-t75563.html)

Prissnboot 11-10-2010 01:29 PM

I cheaped out at Joann's on a sale and bought about five spools of their $2 serger thread. Way more economical than Coats&Clark or the more expensive threads, and you get so much more on the spool. I use it for piecing with no problems whatsoever. I did forget tho and did some quilting with it, and there doesn't seem to be any problems in that area either.....hmmm....

Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T be using this kind of thread for these purposes over the long term of the quilt?

PegD 11-10-2010 01:35 PM

I'm so glad you wrote this, because I bought a bunch too, but was afraid to use it, because as I was leaving they told me it wasn't as heavy as the others. Now I won't mind using it.

Quiltforme 11-10-2010 01:42 PM

I use it all the time and found it better than some of the other thread I have purchased for a lot more. It last a lot longer!!

june6995 11-10-2010 01:48 PM

I have used this thread in my Bailey home quilter for the nearly 3 years I have had it. I do not understand when people say their machines do not like certain threads. Since day one, sewing machine users have used whatever thread was available and did not ask the machine what brand it preferred. It really is all about tension. But I make a lot of quilts each year for charity and is part of my cost "containment" to use this thread. i have bought it when was on sale for $1. I do not have a problem with it. i also use it for piecing. If it is strong enough to be used in a serger, it is strong enough for all kinds of sewing. That is MY opinion and not necessarily the opinion of the "sponsor" of this group. No Commercial intended !

June in Cincinnati

P.S. I use all flat sheets for backing. i have not bought any fabric for the backs of more than 100 quilts.

cutebuns 11-10-2010 02:08 PM

i use cone thread all of the time, and have for years.

Prissnboot 11-10-2010 02:17 PM

June,

I am still a new quilter, and have it in my head that I want my quilts double-sided, pretty on both sides. Do you just buy different color sheets, or do you dye them, what do you do?

BellaBoo 11-10-2010 02:27 PM

I don't use bed sheets for backing but many do if the quilt will be machined quilted. You cannot hand quilt through a bed sheet because the weave is too tight. I piece my backing using different fabrics. It give an interesting look to the back of the quilt.

june6995 11-10-2010 02:35 PM

I buy all my sheets at the Thrift store. i pass there weekly when I am running errands and find great buys. Usually I pay about $1.50 or $2 for them. I buy white and colors and also prints. Some have been used very little and the colors are still very nice.

I don't hand quilt, or hand sew, so sheets fill the bill for my charity quilts. They go mostly to people with AIDS and the more colorful and bright, the better.

June

Candace 11-10-2010 02:44 PM

Serger thread is made to be thin and need 3-5 layers of it to create a seam(think serging clothing seams). IMO this thread is not strong enough to seam or quilt quilts. Plus, it's polyester, which I hate.

watterstide 11-10-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by june6995
I have used this thread in my Bailey home quilter for the nearly 3 years I have had it. I do not understand when people say their machines do not like certain threads.

* If it is strong enough to be used in a serger, it is strong enough for all kinds of sewing. That is MY opinion and not necessarily the opinion of the "sponsor" of this group. No Commercial intended !

June in Cincinnati

P.S. I use all flat sheets for backing. i have not bought any fabric for the backs of more than 100 quilts.

I have friends in my quilt group,that use serger thread for piecing and quilting.

the reason it is strong enough in a seger..is you usually are using 4 or 5 threads at the same time. i was just under the assumption that it was thinner, because 4 threads are used. that is why i have not bought any.

i also have used sheets for the backing of quilts.

and i agree, i think tension is the issue, if your machine is acting up with certain threads. I only choose NOT to use C&C because the price went up, when the dual duty came out, and it was a smaller spool..less thread. so i stick with Guttermann (sp?) at joanns,with a coupon or when it is on sale.