Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is this Cheating... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cheating-t97055.html)

sushi 02-05-2011 03:43 PM

IGNORE YOUR MOTHER! Lots of people on the QB bind their quilts in exactly the way you're proposing, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it!

I bet your mother envies your ability to finish what you start. In time you will rise above her snide remarks, but I can sure understand why you're angry right now.

Know that we're all with you in spirit and urging you to quilt in your own way!

SherryLea 02-05-2011 03:43 PM

I see nothing wrong with it I have done a couple of quilts that way and got lots of compliments on them. Besides makeing quilts if a hobby for you and the right way is any way you want to do it and what pleases you. Thats why it is called being creative.

lovequilts 02-05-2011 03:43 PM

Do it your way. Some people don't appreciate our craft/hobby/obession. I have been sewing and "quilting" for years and given plenty away that were not Professionally quilted. I just had my "first" quilt professionally quilted. Hang in there.

bj 02-05-2011 03:43 PM

I have done it that way. Not my preferred method at all, but there's nothing wrong with it. I think we just do what we can with what we have at the time.

shawnemily 02-05-2011 03:44 PM

There are no rules! It is your creation and you can make it any way you want!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-05-2011 03:46 PM

I'm no big fan of binding so I do it that way some times. I am trying to get better at binding, but I'd sure do it the fold over way again if I was short on fabric, time, money or ambition.

missgigglewings 02-05-2011 03:47 PM

Your Mom is a piecer, you are a quilter! enough said!

jdiane318 02-05-2011 03:48 PM

No, it is not cheating. When I took my binding class at the LQS, this is one of the ways that was shown, demonstrated and taught.

AlienQuilter 02-05-2011 03:50 PM

The way you are doing it is the way I was taught! And my Aunt was a quilter! We folded the back over and we made it a family affair to tie the quilts! That was over 40 years ago! I still have one thats in my closet - hasn't been used in years. My son has one that we have replaced the backing fabric twice and the Army wool blanket (batting) once. He loves it.

I never even knew about "binding" until I was nearly 50! If my Aunt was still alive, she would be chewing me out for wasting fabric making a binding when there was plenty of perfectly good backing material!

On my quilts that I use flannel, fleece or minkee on, I fold the back over to the top and hem it. You can do a search on several diferent ways to miter the corners. I reduce the bulk in mine by slicing off the corners. I can't post pictures so I'm not sure I could explain it clearly.

I no longer use a blanket for batting, but sometimes I will use flannel instead of batting. Or, if the backing is a heavy fabric, I won't use any batting.

It's your quilt, you get to decide what method you want. And opinions are like hineys - everyone's got one!

Airwick156 02-05-2011 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by sushi
IGNORE YOUR MOTHER! Lots of people on the QB bind their quilts in exactly the way you're proposing, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it!

I bet your mother envies your ability to finish what you start. In time you will rise above her snide remarks, but I can sure understand why you're angry right now.

Know that we're all with you in spirit and urging you to quilt in your own way!

My husband and a couple of the ladies I go sew with on Tuesdays also says that they think my mom is envious of me because I do finish my projects. Thanks everyone for the encouragement...Now I will head off and make us all some Pineapple Shortcake Cupcakes and some Hot Chocolate for all of you in the Cold. ;)