Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chemo Quilt Follow-Up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chemo-quilt-follow-up-t250448.html)

ShelleyCS 07-20-2014 03:15 AM

Chemo Quilt Follow-Up

I'm now out of town to visit with my family who has breast cancer. She was overwhelmed by the simple quilt, and extraordinarily grateful. She loved the bright cherry colors, truly appreciated the pocket for her feet, and was thankful for the warm flannel backing. For all here who offered suggestions, thank you so much.

For those of you who make these quilts for people undergoing chemo: know that even though you are not there to see it, the recipients are so very, very appreciative. You've made their lives a little bit easier in a time of pain and worry.

One more thing. A wonderfully kind woman from this board mailed me a mastectomy pillow and some caps. I had never heard of them before nor seen them. My family member cried when she was shown what the pillow was and how to use it. She slept comfortably for the first time since her surgery that night. What a blessing! Thank you. I will now be making them and giving them away to pay it forward.

We cannot do anything about this horrible disease, but we can do these small things, and what a difference they make! <3

Tartan 07-20-2014 03:42 AM

Wonderful that you could ease the pain of your family member.

mpspeedy2 07-20-2014 03:57 AM

Is there a place where we can get the patterns for the chemo quilt and the caps? I am sure there is a need for them in my area.

MaryAnnMc 07-20-2014 04:06 AM

The pillow sounds like a wonderful idea. So glad you were able to provide some comfort for her.

ManiacQuilter2 07-20-2014 04:09 AM

It is great to help others and "to pay it forward".

PaperPrincess 07-20-2014 04:16 AM

You are a good friend!
If you google "mastectomy pillow pattern" there are several patterns and articles that come up. A small pillow can be used in the car to make the seat belt more comfortable. Open heart surgery patients also can use a pillow, (also called a cardiac pillow) they gave one to my dad in the hospital.

ShelleyCS 07-20-2014 04:32 AM

The pillow I received was a beautiful heart shape and fit perfectly under her arm with a slightly rounder dip in the curve of the heart so it fit perfectly under her arm. It was made from a cuddly, soft fleece. When she saw how it was used, her eyes truly lit up. It most certainly eased her discomfort in the car, when sleeping, and when receiving visits from young family members.

Nammie to 7 07-20-2014 04:43 AM

Good people do good things for others. Your family member will think of you every time she uses her pillow and quilt. What a nice thing to do! I will be looking up the directions for the pillows.

Quilter 65 07-20-2014 10:54 AM

I have never heard of these pillows. Thank you for sharing and it sounds like you have been a real blessing through your gifts and your care. God bless you and your friend.

JuneBillie 07-20-2014 11:21 AM

That was such a thoughtful thing to do. It means so much to her, and others like her.