Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   chicken quilt update (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chicken-quilt-update-t409.html)

kathy 01-10-2007 07:12 AM

well apparently bubble jet set is a must because I printed some of my pictures on ready to use fabric sheets (expensive) and some on muslin backed with the large address lable from office supply. I actually liked the look of the muslin better because I'm using earth tones and the ready to go sheets are white. When I laid them in the sink of Woolite the ink just floated off the muslin. Now it looks like a very old black and white, which I may still use but my chickens are very colorful and I want to show that in my quilt. I ironed them all with a hot dry iron after they cooled i rubbed them and it seemed like it was really there to stay. NOT. I'm going to but the BJS and sure hope that's what I need.
kathy

Sis 01-10-2007 08:10 AM

Please keep us informed about the ink jet printing experiment.
I want to make some quilt labels but certainly don't want the info to "float off" in the water. :?

Misty56 01-11-2007 01:39 PM

Ok, Kathy I am so sorry about the chickens. I did a picture of our dog and have not added it to anything yet so I better go get the bubble stuff. Don't you like that(bubble stuff))
Misty

:cry:

bbwalkup 01-12-2007 07:00 AM

Last year I made a family tree quilt, we printed everyone's pictures onto the fabric sheets, this was my first try with those. When I soaked them in the water, I didn't have any problems with loosing the pictures, but the sheets shifted. I took them out of the water and laid flat on towells to air dry and they were no longer square!! The pictures were small enough no one noticed, but I had larger pictures at the bottom which I just heat set. That worked way better than the water. I even showed my Fiber Arts group the package and what happened...no one had ever seen the shifting before. I haven't tried to print on muslin, would heat setting work on that??

kathy 01-12-2007 07:02 AM

it didn't for me

kathy 02-01-2007 05:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is the punch embroidery chicken that's going in hubby's quilt. It will have some kind of frame around it, maybe chicken wire.

patricej 02-01-2007 07:04 AM

Beyond awesome!

:P

vicki reno 02-02-2007 08:22 AM

Maybe you could use the expensive stuf and age it afterwards using tea bags. Would that work? Or could you age the fabric before printing on it? I have never used the stuff, just a suggestion.

Neva Jones 02-05-2007 05:17 AM

I have made 19 pictuer quilt I get 100 percent cotten in whith or off whilh I wash it in very small amount soap in hot water air dry I sock it in a liqiid I get from a cotlog then iron it to freezer paper I cut to size my printer then skan and print picture you can get some stuf to wash it to get the exture ink out if any one wants I well poat where I get syuff from

susan53 02-05-2007 03:33 PM

I am very interested in learning where to buy the stuff you talked about and to give it a try..sounds like a big money saver !!!! Thanks so much...

Susan