Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Children's Sewing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/childrens-sewing-machines-t77466.html)

DawnMarie 11-19-2010 07:18 PM

It doesn't cease to amaze me that every time we are in Jo-Ann's, the children's Singer Sewing Machine gets thrown in the cart by my 3-year-old daughter. I've read reviews of these machines that aren't so great. Does anyone know of any other cost effective machines that might be good for a smart little aspiring quilter?

allie 11-19-2010 08:24 PM

get one of the cheaper brothers machine have three different brother machine and love them all

GrannieAnnie 11-19-2010 08:33 PM

Find a full sized machine that is easy to thread and has maybe just a straight stitch and a zigzag. Keep an eye out for sales and you may get one for under a hundred.

Let your daughter put some decals on it to make it more girlie!

jljack 11-19-2010 08:39 PM

I got a really small Janome for my 10 year old granddaughter, and she loves it.

eparys 11-19-2010 08:46 PM

WOW - I was about to say that I would never purchase a children's machine until I saw that your daughter was 3yo. I might be interested in one of the chain stitch machines for a child that young.

I like the Brother CSI 6000 - inexpensive and light weight as well as a decent little machine but I have never worked with a child that young. My DD was about 7 when she really started on my Viking 6370 and is still sewing now 25 years later (on that machine-lol).

What a great thing to share with your young daughter - good luck!!

Leota 11-19-2010 08:53 PM

Start her out on one of the children's sewing machines and teach her the safety rules of sewing...
I started my dgd out with HAND sewing... she had to make a tote bag... (age 4)
Then I bought her a children's sewing machine and she sewed another tote bag to learn her machine (age 4 yrs 10 mos) and then she made a pair of shorts. These machines sew much slower than even the machines with a low gear.
My neighbor was throwing away a Signature (Montgomery Wards) machine that works perfectly with all the feet. She sews on that one now (she's 11).

jitkaau 11-19-2010 09:44 PM

Brother is selling some really good ones quite cheaply. (You may find you like it for yourself...)

greensleeves 11-19-2010 10:44 PM

At 3 years I had my grandkids in my lap and they guided blocks through the machine while I controlled the foot pedal, I also have slow speed on my machine. By 5 they could sit by themselves and make things.

jrhboxers 11-20-2010 05:09 AM

Try the Janome Mini. Usually you can find it on sale at Hancock's for around $30 dollars. Regular price is about $55. I have one that I use to take with me to classes and such. It is a tought little machine. It makes a beautiful stitch and it very quiet and light weight. I have now bought three of them as gifts for kids - ages 6, 8 and 12. And the quilts that I am making with the neighbors' kids, this is the machine that they are using, with my help as they are all 3. I have had my Baby Jan for almost 2 years and have it serviced about twice and year and have had NO problems with it at all.