Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Choosing fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/choosing-fabrics-t275953.html)

catsden 02-21-2016 07:15 AM

Choosing fabrics

I take forever to choose what colors I want to use in blocks. I usually end up with a good choice, but boy, does it take awhile. I am making a quilt for a lady (will post pic when top is together). The main body is a collection of houses,barn,church and school etc. no pattern. Anyway, I am putting all different blocks around it. 2 weeks later and I have all but 4 blocks done. Thank goodness I bought EQ7. Yesterday for example it took me the better part of a day just to figure what colors I wanted for this block. Tried all different fabrics and finally came up with something. If I didn't take so long choosing, I could have had these block done a week ago. Is it me or do some of you quilters take a lot of time to choose?

ManiacQuilter2 02-21-2016 07:22 AM

If I am in doubt in my choices, then I turn and use EQ7. Right now I am having problems deciding what pattern to use with this humongous print of bright pansies. Even EQ7 hasn't given me the solution yet.

toverly 02-21-2016 07:24 AM

I dive right in. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It's the process not the product that creates results. Enjoy the process.

Doggramma 02-21-2016 09:05 AM

Picking out colors is the fun part for me. Usually when I'm making a quilt or just blocks I already have an idea in my head about what colors and setting. Then I find it difficult sometimes to find the exact shade of color I have in my head.

RedGarnet222 02-21-2016 10:15 AM

I love playing with color in the quilts I make. I also enjoy trying to use the right fabric pattern for the era/theme of the quilt. To me it makes all the difference. If there is one thing I can't stand it is not being able to find something after five stores of shopping. Such a waste of time.

Boston1954 02-21-2016 11:03 AM

When I think about how I want my quilt to look, it does not bother me to take a little time to audition the fabric. In the long run, it makes for a better quilt.

Watson 02-21-2016 11:28 AM

When choosing fabric it does take me a long time....and I tend to overbuy as Ithink "This will be perfect." and then its not. Take your time, it will come out right.
Forgive the punctuation...Im at an old computer in Mexico and not all the keys work.
Watson

busy fingers 02-21-2016 12:20 PM

To me there are many different components that go into making a quilt but I feel that the "colour" is the most important. I have seen quilts made using the same pattern but different colour choices and it makes such a difference if the "right colours" are used.

I look forward to seeing your finished quilt.

crafty pat 02-21-2016 12:43 PM

I love color and sometime use to much. I have to watch myself and sometime tone it down some. I don't usually have a pattern in mind when I buy fabric but when I find something I just have to buy I try to buy several colors that go well with it. When I get it home I wash, press and put it in a 2.5 gallon zip bag along with a pattern when I find one I like and have a lot of projects ready when I am ready to start a new one that I don't have to go shopping for matching fabrics. I am ready to start my project right away.

QuiltnLady1 02-21-2016 01:54 PM

Sometimes I spend more time choosing the fabrics than it takes to cut it out. I really enjoy the creative process and picking out the fabrics is the part I enjoy most. That's why my sewing room gets destroyed every time I start a new project.