Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Christmas quilt gift (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/christmas-quilt-gift-t319569.html)

sarge1 11-20-2022 06:25 AM

Christmas quilt gift

I have a quilt I made with Christmas fabrics. I don't want to keep it, and don't have any particular recipient in mind. So I was trying to think of a fun way to gift it to someone in my family when we gather on Christmas. Something a random person could "win". but I'm not very creative in this area. I don't want them to have to do any kind of physical competition-more like a raffle or door prize kind of thing. Just drawing names from a hat seems boring. Does anyone have a fun idea for how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Three Dog Night 11-20-2022 06:51 AM

How about putting numbers under the dining room chairs, pick a number and the person sitting there wins the quilt.

QuiltE 11-20-2022 07:22 AM

If you pre-set the dining room table with the plates ... don't tell the family anything in advance, but leave a note under the plate, "Santa left something behind, just for you!" ... with directions as to where to find it. Adds some excitement between courses, when the plates are removed.

My niece started this with our family, except she left lottery tickets under each plate! Others followed, and so, it became a tradition.

What you need to consider ... that it could cause problems. Only you know if your family can be like "that"! Is everyone on equal footing (in your mind), to receive the quilt? Will they all give it the quilt-love you expect? Will anyone be offended if a certain person gets it? Should the kids (if there are kids) be part of the luck of the draw?

Lady Diana 11-20-2022 08:15 AM

Giveaway

I bought a good luck pickle ornament several years ago, the first one to find it on,the tree gets surprise.

aashley333 11-21-2022 04:08 AM

How about as a hostess gift for the person that hosts your family's gathering. IMHO, with a drawing, etc., there is one winner and the rest feel left out.

my-ty 11-21-2022 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333 (Post 8576625)
How about as a hostess gift for the person that hosts your family's gathering. IMHO, with a drawing, etc., there is one winner and the rest feel left out.

I agree. Find a reason to gift it to an individual, and just do it. It's a wonderful way to say thank you and it will make that person's day. When I give homemade gifts, I also add if this isn't right for you then pass it along to someone that makes a difference in your world and might appreciate the gift. I know it will find an owner that loves it eventually.

tranum 11-21-2022 07:47 PM

Family tradition here. Our dessert is individual dishes of rice pudding. One dish has a whole almond in it & they get a special gift.

rjwilder 11-22-2022 04:46 AM

I did something similar to your idea once. The winner said thanks but it's not my style. She put it on the couch and said whoever wants it can have it. No one wanted it at first, then one family member said they'd take it and sell it. At that point I said I'd just keep it and donate it. I'm glad my family was honest and now I know to never make them anything. No more fun games at my house.

cindyb 11-22-2022 05:16 AM

Mr and Mrs Left and Right is a game we always play. There are a lot of stories that you can google. Basically, everyone is in a circle and one person holds a small gift, token, or whatever. Host reads the story and every time 'right' is read, the token is passed to the right; every time 'left' is read token goes to the left. At the end of the story who ever is holding the token is the big prize winner. Everyone regardless of age can be included. We have had so much fun with this for years.

abc123xyz 11-22-2022 06:45 AM

I too wonder about who the recipient of your quilt might be. Will it be someone who will cherish having received the quilt or will it only be taken home and stuffed in a closet or worse yet used to bed pets? Will jealousy rear its ugly head and cause trouble among family members if someone feels the quilt was received by the wrong person? This is no small gift and I somehow feel the games could better be played with smaller, less valuable gifts as prizes. Do you have children or young people in your group? How about putting the quilt in a pretty Christmas bag and taking these young people with you to present the quilt to someone who may appreciate it more than you know. Do you have an older person who lives alone, an elderly couple who are trying to squeeze by on a fixed income, a family or individual who has been experiencing recent grief or serious illness? There are many needy among us. Surely your pastor or a community organization can recommend someone if you don't have a person in mind. Eat your meal, then load up the car and deliver the quilt. This just might warm the heart and body of someone who would love to receive it and it would be a nice giving lesson for the young people in your group. This thought just came to mind and may or may not fit your plans. Happy Holidays!