Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/christmas-quilt-niece-dog-who-chews-everything-t234703.html)

ellenmg 11-16-2013 03:56 PM

Firstly, the dog won't outgrow chewing. Make her a table runner and give her a season of Dog Whisperer..Toss in a leash for some exercise for the dog. Not being a smart ale

richardswife 11-16-2013 04:21 PM

I think Prism99 has a great idea.:thumbup::thumbup:

charlottequilts 11-16-2013 04:35 PM

Were it me, what would keep me up at night would be the safety of the little ones, with an anxious dog of a known aggressive breed in the house. i would be giving no worrying time to the quilt.

Hugs,
charlotte

EdieClay 11-16-2013 04:44 PM

I like the idea of giving her something other than a quilt like tote bags, table runners, place mats, or even a wall hanging. I wouldn't give a quilt to someone I know is going to let it be destroyed.

Dordee 11-16-2013 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 6404227)
Last Christmas I gave two of my nieces quilts for Christmas. Everyone made a big fuss over them so this year I decided to make my MIL and SIL another quilt for Christmas, like the ones I made the nieces. Then I remembered the oldest, married niece. She has a pit bull that chews holes in the walls of the house and anything else it can. She has two little children. The dog is gentle, but they haven't done anything to train it not to chew things. It chews shoes, blankets, clothes, baskets, everything. All they do is yell at it, which apparently is not working. I hate to give her a quilt that I spend so many hours and money on to have it ruined by their dog, but it will be very obvious if I don't give her a quilt. She will be the last female in the family who doesn't have a quilt. What should I do? I am so conflicted.

I was faced with the same problem a couple of years ago 3 grand kids that have no respect for anything and I had made the others a quilt (These 3 were from the same family) like Sewnoma said I had to just give and let it go, I try not to think about where those quilts ended up, but I made all of our Grands a quilt and probably will never make them another

RugosaB 11-17-2013 08:27 AM

I use Vicks Vapo rub on things I don't want the pups to chew on. The only thing, I have to wash my hands very well or they avoid me too.

ONLY if it's a wall hanging, suggest she put one spot on the bottom back of it. I guess that's only a suggestion if the dog can reach the wallhanging. It only takes a teeny tiny spot to be effective

I would suggest the Vicks to her for other things that should not be chewed, she might welcome the suggestion

kittiebug 11-17-2013 01:55 PM

Make her a wall hanging quilt. she will love it.. :)

Fabricnut 11-17-2013 04:14 PM

I made 2 of my granddaughters quilts last year. The girls were 8 &9 yr old. When I visited them in April the quilts were on the playroom floor and the dogs were sleeping on them. Needless to say the girls won't be getting more quilts from Grandma until they get married (maybe).

debbieoh 11-18-2013 05:05 PM

Make her one ! If she allows the dog to chew it ,Its her loss and don't make her another. Plus not to be mean but buy cheaper fabric and use a easy pattern