Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chubby Chick Quilt trying to kill me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chubby-chick-quilt-trying-kill-me-t62586.html)

MomtoBostonTerriers 09-01-2010 06:32 PM

Reevesfarm,

What a cute quilt! I think it is wonderful just as it is, so why not just say 'bu-bye' to those flying geese.

Is that a little Boston in your avatar? He doesn't have much white on him, so I am wondering. I have a Boston that is almost all black, and there aren't many like that.

Roll Tide!

Sadiemae 09-01-2010 09:52 PM

When I teach beginning quilting, if I have students who have trouble with Flying Geese I have them make half square triangles instead. Then when they are more comfortable I have them move on to Flying Geese.

grma33 09-02-2010 02:07 AM

reevesfarm, a trick my quilt teacher showed us is, if you are making flying geese withe the squares on each corner of the rectangle draw a line across when sewing start on the line 2 or 3 stitches then very gradualy sew off the line to wards the point and then keep this sew line staight along side your drawn line till you get to almost end and gradualy move back to your line.
It gives a little more in the middle when you press.
Retrim if need be.
It realy works!
Gale

JNCT14 09-02-2010 03:41 AM

I would paper piece the FG. I have had no luck making those any other way without having to rip and replace, rip and replace......

Connie Merritt 09-02-2010 03:48 AM

Am I reading the insert of your picture? The picture is NOT one of Your quilt. If that is so, would you post a picture of your quilt because (today I am abit dense) and I can't see what is wrong with the quilt. I am trying to learn what I can so that is my reason for this request. Thanks and if I am in error I think your quilt is lovely and cute.

bobolee 09-02-2010 03:50 AM

I agree! It's adorable just as it is. I love it.

reevesfarm 09-02-2010 04:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
Am I reading the insert of your picture? The picture is NOT one of Your quilt. If that is so, would you post a picture of your quilt because (today I am abit dense) and I can't see what is wrong with the quilt. I am trying to learn what I can so that is my reason for this request. Thanks and if I am in error I think your quilt is lovely and cute.

LOL-you are not dense....for the first time I am trying to follow a pattern exactly...no cheating and "working ahead"....so as you can see mine is all in pieces....

Hopefully I can finish putting all of the flying geese together today...can not believe how long it takes me to do that.

MaryAnna 09-02-2010 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by reevesfarm

Originally Posted by Connie Merritt

LOL-you are not dense....for the first time I am trying to follow a pattern exactly...no cheating and "working ahead"....so as you can see mine is all in pieces....

Well, so far it's looking good, and yes I'm just like you! I tend to 'get ahead' of the pattern/instructions and make things as I think will be better and in my order. When I do it the pattern's way, it's usually 'off' or takes longer than it should!
Can't wait to see your quilt finished- it will be darling!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna

Hopefully I can finish putting all of the flying geese together today...can not believe how long it takes me to do that.

katesnanna 09-02-2010 04:54 AM

reevesfarm I think you need to check your measurements. Making FG and then joining them like this your measurements need to be very accurate. I don't know why anyone would make FG that way then sew them side by side. ( I understand you are following a pattern)
Making the geese this way you need to leave the base fabric on the back so you have something to line your square up against.
Link:- http://www.quilterscache.com/H/Howtomakegeese.html

Try this link.There are 3 different methods of making geese. The last one is so fast and easy and there is absolutely no waste. It's the only way I make them now.

quiltmom04 09-02-2010 05:07 AM

There's a problem with THIS quilt??? It's adorable!