Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   circular quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/circular-quilt-question-t36341.html)

Barb_MO 02-08-2010 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by quiltylori
I'm not sure yet what material I will be putting in the center, but if I recall, don't I quilt it first and then put the applique on? Sorry, if I appear a little "dumb" I haven't quilted in about 6 years and it's hard to remember. Do you think I can just stitch in the ditch and sort of gather it along the way down to smooth it out?

I used to pin a piece of fabric to the backside of the circle. and stitch the circle to that...it will keep it flater so that you can work on it. I appliqued my center on before quilting and it got quilted along with the rest of the quilt.

I would like to see a picture of your whole circle. Could you post a pic of that?

beachlady 02-08-2010 03:41 PM

I have no answer for you, but I sure think it is pretty. Please post a pix of it when you are done.

quiltylori 02-08-2010 04:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a the picture of the complete circle...I have also included a picture of my first round quilt that I made a long time ago. This was the one I was trying to copy except instead of a Christmas theme I was trying to make a Spring table quilt.

I like the idea of attaching the circle before quilting. I think I will try that.

Have any of you guys used the fusible batting instead of pinning?

picture of complete circle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15377[/ATTACH]

picture of previously complete quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15378[/ATTACH]

quiltykim 02-08-2010 05:40 PM

Lori those quilts are so beautiful!! I wish I had an answer to your question :) Let's go on a shop hop together this summer! Kim

quiltylori 02-08-2010 06:05 PM

I am going to plan on it!!!

Barb_MO 02-08-2010 06:09 PM

Those are really pretty. It doesn't look like it is too full in the middle. I bet it will work out out ok, unless you can pinch up more than 1/2 inch on that inside row.

Did you do this with strip piecing the fabrics and cutting the wedges from the strip pieced panel? Or did you cut each piece out and then stitch?

b.zang 02-08-2010 06:14 PM

Piping in to say your quilts are gorgeous.
That Christmas one is spectacular and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product of the spring quilt.

quiltylori 02-08-2010 06:32 PM

Thanks for the compliments, I know how hard everybody works on their quilts and I appreciate your kindness.

To Barb: Yes, I strip pieced all the fabric and then cut the wedges alternating back and forth to get that pinwheel sort of look. And I think you might be right, laying it on the floor gives me a much better look at it (I had it laying on my table) and I think it might be ok, I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the input!

moreland 02-08-2010 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltylori
Here is a the picture of the complete circle...I have also included a picture of my first round quilt that I made a long time ago. This was the one I was trying to copy except instead of a Christmas theme I was trying to make a Spring table quilt.

I like the idea of attaching the circle before quilting. I think I will try that.

Have any of you guys used the fusible batting instead of pinning?

The speaker at our guild meeting this morning showed a large size quilt she had used the iron-on batting for and she thought it was wonderful.

Shelley 02-08-2010 08:18 PM

ok....shhhh...I'm going to give you a secret trick.....spray with starch or fabric sizing or best press.....then iron into shape....shhhh....this is a secret.....