Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Clam Shell - this is the way I do it, any other suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/clam-shell-way-i-do-any-other-suggestions-t256906.html)

Beachbaby12 11-18-2014 06:01 AM

Looks very nice! Where did you get the pattern?

nena 11-18-2014 08:02 AM

Did not have a pattern. I just cut out the clams looked at them and decided to just do it like the picture. When I have it the size I want I trim the top off to the second row top of the shell and add it to the bottom row. I am not good at reading patterns. I am a visual person so sometimes I just have to work it out for myself.( Not always the best way to go) lol

SusanSusan33 11-18-2014 09:33 AM

What a lucky dog!! I love your quilt so far!! :)

neece 11-18-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by nena (Post 6974169)
Did not have a pattern. I just cut out the clams looked at them and decided to just do it like the picture. When I have it the size I want I trim the top off to the second row top of the shell and add it to the bottom row. I am not good at reading patterns. I am a visual person so sometimes I just have to work it out for myself.( Not always the best way to go) lol

I am also very visual and read the directions out loud to myself as I look at the pictures. It really helps me:D

lynnie 11-18-2014 03:02 PM

I joined this board over 4 yrs ago to find out how to make a clamshell quilt. this is the first I've seen of anyone making one. I have a row and a half on mine. i'm basting mine down,(the indivual pcs. o the top curve) then hand appliqueing to the row b4. I love clamshells, if anyone has one, please post a photo or us. I love them and Neece, thank you for posting for us.

I to am very visual, so I just look and do.

tessagin 11-18-2014 03:11 PM

I made a couple clamshell templates in different sizes. You can do it buy copying then enlarging on your computer!

Geri B 11-19-2014 05:48 AM

In know PaperPieces.com has clamshell papers and an acrylic template for fabric cutting in several sizes...but those are hand done like hexies.....I watched Sue Daley's tute.......there must be a tute somewhere for machine piecing...

needles3thread 11-19-2014 07:28 AM

I love this pattern-clam shells. I have one started, but finding it difficult to make the piecing fit perfectly.

judy363905 01-01-2017 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 6974649)
I joined this board over 4 yrs ago to find out how to make a clamshell quilt. this is the first I've seen of anyone making one. I have a row and a half on mine. i'm basting mine down,(the indivual pcs. o the top curve) then hand appliqueing to the row b4. I love clamshells, if anyone has one, please post a photo or us. I love them and Neece, thank you for posting for us.

I to am very visual, so I just look and do.

Lynnie, just wondering if you have made any progress on your Clamshell quilt. I would appreciate knowing how you did with your project. I have always admired the work you have shared on these boards.

I am seriously thinking about beginning one in January, so I have been research anything I can about clamshell quilts. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

Gay 01-02-2017 12:28 AM

I think I would interface the clamshells, mainly because they would be put together quicker.
A member had started a quilt with lots of applique 'Clamshell Session" which would be a treat to see when/if done.