Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Classifying fabric for storage? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/classifying-fabric-storage-t52456.html)

lorli 07-02-2010 10:34 AM

How does everyone classify their fabrics for storage? I have mine in big plastic bins and I don't know the best way to divide them up. One of my friends does it by color, but so many fabrics have a lot of colors and it's hard to pick a predominant one.

Sadiemae 07-02-2010 10:36 AM

I divide mine by color. Also, holidays I separate by holiday. I also have floral, animal, etc... for multi colors. Good Luck!

ann clare 07-02-2010 10:37 AM

I do mine by color on shelves. Do not have much.

dakotamaid 07-02-2010 10:38 AM

I do mine mostly by color, than some by design, and some by theme. I have a leaf box, a star box, a children's box, nature prints besides the leaves, household type fabrics (kitchen,etc). I also keep the flannels separate by theme. I keep the large yardages separate from the smaller amount just for storage practicality.

jljack 07-02-2010 10:50 AM

I have mine sorted by color, and multi print is separated. If I have several pieces of a line, I put those together in a bag. If I find a pattern I really like and want to do, I put the pattern and the fabrics from my stash into a bag. Sort of like a kit.

Fiber Artist 07-02-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I divide mine by color. Also, holidays I separate by holiday. I also have floral, animal, etc... for multi colors. Good Luck!

same here

craftybear 07-02-2010 11:35 AM

good luck and have fun getting your fabric all organized,

mlaceruby 07-02-2010 12:07 PM

I have a shelf for each color of small yardage.
I have a display from a fabric store that holds all my bolts(well most of them)
and I have the solids,neutrals,by color,batik,minkee,flannel and if I have several of the same line they are grouped together.
then I have bins with strips,and squares by size.
I also have a large basket with 2" strips( I love log cabin quilts)
I also have pizza boxes with specific shapes
And right now my studio is a mess!
but I know where everything is!

sewcrafty 07-02-2010 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have mine separated by color and use labels to state what's in there. Some may have more than one color in them.

Miss Mona 07-03-2010 06:55 AM

Big plastic bins make it hard to store and know what is in them. I have 1 1/2" strips up to 6 1/2" strips in boxes made for pictures, they have a place for a label. In my big storage units I have sorted stripes, polka dots, plaids, floral, novelty, solids, etc. I have cut out 6" x 12" pieces of cardboard and fold my fabic to the 11" width, place these on top of the cardboard and use the #64 rubber band on each end. This sorts my fabric in large hunks, I can remove several as needed and put the remainder back. There is a little more to this but it is an idea. Hope this helps.