Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-fabrics-t21513.html)

bearisgray 06-18-2009 07:23 PM

shake everything out (outside of course) to get the loose stuff off before washing

henryparrish76 06-18-2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Henry, so sorry you are having such a problem . 35 that is a lot and yes they are looking for the dog food ! have you thought about those pest-b-gone things that you plug into an outlet. I haven't tried them but others have and say they work. Worth a try. GOOD LUCK !
Sharon

Ill have to give it a try and see if they work. Someone else mentioned that to me. I forget who but Ill give them a try.

henryparrish76 06-18-2009 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
shake everything out (outside of course) to get the loose stuff off before washing

Trust me I am :)

henryparrish76 06-18-2009 07:28 PM

Should i even wash the darker fabrics in the hot water?

Moonpi 06-18-2009 07:45 PM

I know some will disagree, but plastic tubs have worked for me. I have some stacked up in the laundry room which is outside of the house. Every time I have gone out to get something, I check ALL the fabric, and in over a year, no bugs or mice. No damage to the fabric, even in the heat and humidity of central florida.

Any time I have lived in the country, mice have found me. Down here, I have found frogs and lizards in the house, and I'll be darned if I know how they got in! Enzyme cleaners are great for all sorts of "natural" stains, so anything that doesn't come clean in the forst wash should not go in the dryer, but instead a washtub with some Tide or Biz. I always add Borax in the wash to get smells and germs out.

Good luck!

henryparrish76 06-18-2009 08:18 PM

Hmmmm I will look into some plastic tubs.

quiltluvr 06-18-2009 08:20 PM

I wash all my fabrics when I bring them home, darks with darks, lights with lights, a bit of detergent and a dye grabber for anything that may bleed. I do it to get out any sizing and pre shrink the pieces.

Everyone has their own way, so there's no right or wrong. :-)

MadQuilter 06-19-2009 09:20 AM

I'd use Clorox 2 for all of it. Regular Clorox is safe ONLY for white whites. You don't want to bleach out your lights, do you?

Sorry about your messy friend and good luck on saving the friendship. I'm a messy friend too (sans mice) but I don't rent.

Are you going to put the washed and dried fabric in containers so the fuzzy invaders can't do the damage again?

I don't envy you having to do all that washing, but look on the bright side: you get reaquainted with all your stash again.

Shemjo 06-19-2009 09:33 AM

Sew sorry for all the problems. But now you will know what you have! Gotta be positive. (I am a fabric hoarder also, so I have some serious storage problems. I like the tubs and shelving!) :?

henryparrish76 06-19-2009 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I'd use Clorox 2 for all of it. Regular Clorox is safe ONLY for white whites. You don't want to bleach out your lights, do you?

Sorry about your messy friend and good luck on saving the friendship. I'm a messy friend too (sans mice) but I don't rent.

Are you going to put the washed and dried fabric in containers so the fuzzy invaders can't do the damage again?

I don't envy you having to do all that washing, but look on the bright side: you get reaquainted with all your stash again.

I went to Target last night and got me several large clear tubs with lids So I can fold and put the stash into them so furry critters cant get to them anymore.