Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning irons - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-irons-t163267.html)

MiaA 10-25-2011 10:40 PM

I LOVE my Rowenta iron! I've only decacalcified it once in six years and it just goes and goes...
I'd recommend decalcifying it before throwing in the towel.

bluteddi 10-26-2011 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Elginrunnerswife
I hate to agree with the others but I have to. I was a Rowenta lover for years and years but after going through three Rowenta irons my husband bought me a Shark x-tended steam burst iron and LOVE it and would not trade it for Rowenta!!

My shark worked great for about 2 months.. ( just after I tossed the box) now it spits and sputters so bad, I've had water spurt out and burn my legs.... I hate mine@

quilterella 10-26-2011 01:02 AM

I have no words of wisdom for your iron, but just wanted to add: Use your iron dry and keep a spray bottle of water near your ironing board. I was having problems with my old iron last year and someone posted that. I went out and bought a new iron and it has never had water it in and I have no more problems with a spitting/leaking iron.

Carol J. 10-26-2011 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
I have no words of wisdom for your iron, but just wanted to add: Use your iron dry and keep a spray bottle of water near your ironing board. I was having problems with my old iron last year and someone posted that. I went out and bought a new iron and it has never had water it in and I have no more problems with a spitting/leaking iron.

I agree with this lady, I have not used water in any iron for years. I keep a spray bottle handy for when I need moisture and use a dry iron to do seams. A damp cotton dishtowel or old handkerchief works for embroidery and fussy fabrics. I had my share of spits and spurts and got tired of it

MyDD has a window treatment business and don't use a steam iron, can't take chances on ruining expensive fabric.

Carol J.

Elginrunnerswife 10-26-2011 03:12 AM

Bluteddi- I am sorry you dont like your Shark! I sometimes think irons have a mind of their own and each one is different!! LOL My last Rowenta was a disaster and kept leaking- I called customer service and they told me to return it and that I had a defective one....well the replacement had major issues too so thats when I gave up on Rowenta. I wonder if they aren't making them like they did years ago (surpise, surprise) because my first one....a professional model I got when I was 16 lasted for over 10 years!! The three successors were not so grand.....

snipforfun 10-26-2011 05:21 AM

I cant say enough about the Reliable 100 iron. Yes it is $$$ but it will never leak or spit. Its fantastic and I dont regret spending the $ because it never gives me any back talk!

susie-susie-susie 10-26-2011 08:06 AM

I couldn't believe my eyes. I am having the same problem with my Rowenta iron. Sometimes it steams and sometimes it doesn't. I just keep a spray bottle near and use that if I need steam. I have been told that steam will stretch your fabric, and I have seen it happen with some fabric, so I try not to use steam.
Sue

Camping Angel 10-26-2011 08:17 AM

Well, I don't have a Rowenta or anything fancy. Just a plain ole Black and Decker that I bought at KMart 14 years ago. Always use just distilled water in it and have had no problems whatsoever. I think I paid $15-$18 for it. Heats up very quickly, never gets too hot and if it ever gives out I'll be blue.

Carol J. 10-26-2011 08:44 AM

I never had fabric stretch from spray or steam, if a person doesn't "iron" the fabric but gently press it, there shouldn't be a problem. I do use spray to shrink broadcloth when I use it instead of washing and drying it, it works.
I like broadcloth because of the color selection and the price, for my type of quilts it is good enough for charity and personal quilts. For gifts I go with the high priced cotton.

Carol J.

snipforfun 10-26-2011 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
I never had fabric stretch from spray or steam, if a person doesn't "iron" the fabric but gently press it, there shouldn't be a problem. I do use spray to shrink broadcloth when I use it instead of washing and drying it, it works.
I like broadcloth because of the color selection and the price, for my type of quilts it is good enough for charity and personal quilts. For gifts I go with the high priced cotton.

Carol J.

I had some Kaffe Fassett shrink from steaming. The quilt was entirely KF. Some shrunk and some didnt