Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning Rowenta (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-rowenta-t243846.html)

lainealex 03-24-2014 01:45 PM

Cleaning Rowenta

I have a pretty new Rowenta Eco iron and I am struggling with how to do the cleaning ritual described in the manual. It involves heating the iron then taking it to the sink and pressing down a self clean switch while jiggling it, then doing more things and so forth. I understand the directions, but it's just not working because only a few teaspoons of water comes out during the whole process, and supposedly the whole canister of water is meant to drain.

Can I just use vinegar and be done with this?

The manual says vinegar will wreck it, but will it really?

I love to use vinegar, it works so well and then I don't need to follow all the nonsense above.

Thanks for ideas...

Lainey

Jennifer23 03-24-2014 02:26 PM

Hmm... I don't own this iron, but I had one with a similar self-clean system before.

Do you have the steam turned off when you heat it beforehand? It needs to be off for the self-clean to work. Also, are you keeping the button pressed down as you jiggle? There should be lots of bubbling and rumbling sounds as the water hits the dry, preheated steam plate. The whole canister should drain if you keep the button pressed down. Lots of water will evaporate at first, but then it will start coming out the holes in the sole plate.

If the manual says not to use vinegar, I believe it - the metal innards can react with the acid.

quilter2090 03-24-2014 02:26 PM

If the manual says that vinegar will ruin your iron, but you still want to use it? It's your iron, you can do what you want, just don't get angry if your iron doesn't work anymore. I assume there is a reason why the manual specifically said DO Not use vinegar. I assume there has to be a reason why vinegar is not allowed, does the manual say why to not use it? Like I said, it's your iron.

Skratchie 03-24-2014 02:32 PM

When I clean my Rowenta, I take it to the sink and plug it in and let it get really hot then leave it plugged in and hit the self clean.

As the other poster said, vinegar isn't necessary but if that's what you want to do, then go on and do it. Since the instructions say don't do it, it's likely the iron won't work after a few of those treatments, but it is your iron.

Craftnut 03-24-2014 02:45 PM

Vinegar might corrode any plastic parts inside and result in leaking. Since Rowenta irons are notorious for leaking anyway I wouldn't take that chance.

lainealex 03-24-2014 03:34 PM

I thought maybe the vinegar was widely used by quilters and safe but it doesn't sound like a good idea - I will continue to try and figure out the self-cleaning method.

Thankyou.

Lainey

Lori S 03-24-2014 05:44 PM

Before my Rowenta died It took a few times of doing that method, and I had to hold the switch the whole time to the self clean. Eventually it did start to clear the deposits and after that did it once a month , which seemed to be better.

NJ Quilter 03-25-2014 03:10 AM

You definitely need to let it get extremely hot; hold down the self clean button the entire time. If it's been a while since you've cleaned it, it may take several repeats of the cleaning process to get it clean completely and drain completely. I would definitely NOT use vinegar.

Sandygirl 03-25-2014 03:16 AM

My Rowentas have never leaked....but I follow directions.
Sandy

lainealex 03-25-2014 07:00 AM

My manual says to heat up the iron to its hottest setting with the canister full of water. While it is heating up, you are meant to leave the steam setting on. Once it's hot you switch the steam setting to dry. Then take it to the sink, hold it horizontally, shake it while holding down the self clean knob. All the water is meant to come out. But whenever I do this, only a couple of spoonfuls end up coming out. My arm is tired and it just seems like it's not working.

It sounds like people are keeping the iron plugged in while they are shaking it over the sink?

Obviously something isn't working, and I don't want this iron to conk out so I'd like to maintain it with proper cleaning.

Thanks,

Lainey