Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning your quilt stencils-Help appreciated! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-your-quilt-stencils-help-appreciated-t109434.html)

pstoner 03-22-2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by IfuPleasEM
I am sorry, if you have already tried this. I do machine embroidery, and use spray adhesive on the hoops, they also get very sticky. To clean them I run warm soapy water in sink or any vessel your stencil will fit into and let it soak sometimes for hours. But, it does get where you can wipe them right off. I have heard not to use rubbing alcohol to clean plastic hoops, because this dries them out. Maybe worth a try. Good luck.

I will try this as I am sure my DH prefers Dawn dish soap over Goo-Gone.

pstoner 03-22-2011 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
Try WD-40. I use it to remove all kinds of adhesive. Then follow up with a dish detergent wash and rinse. Sometimes I let it sit for a few minutes on hard-to-remove spots.

Maybe DH will loan me some of his, it's worth a try to get this sticky stuff off the stencils.

pstoner 03-22-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MMBF
I know this sounds crazy, but try hand sanitizer. It seems to dissolve the sticky yuck leaving your stencil germ free!

Do you mean the kind that you don't need water for? It's worth a try, will have to give this a test as well. I am certainly glad that I don't spray this on my quilts.

Deborah12687 03-22-2011 08:54 AM

I don't use any adhesive on my stencils but I use velcro dots and that helps to keep the stencil from moving.

pontiac46750 03-22-2011 10:54 AM

That is a very good point. Can you wash it out of fabric?[/quote]

The basting spray does wash out of your fabric when you wash the quilt. I use it all the time.

sylvia776 03-22-2011 11:00 AM

Eucalyptus oil always removed sticky residue from glass, stainless steel, and plastic plus it leaves a nice, clean, fresh smell. Good luck!

dlf0122quilting 03-22-2011 11:23 AM

You might also try making a paste out of Oxyclean and water and trying that. My son discovered that this mixture is great for taking the watermarks off my glass shower doors and I even use it in my water for cleaning my floors. Works wonders. Takes the spray starch off my cabinet top where I do my pressing too. Might be worth a try. Just try it in a little corner first and run it under the water afterward.

desertrose 03-22-2011 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by pstoner
Ok I have several used quilt stencils and was told by a local LAQ that using spray adhesive on the back of the stencil helps it stay in place when using the pounce pad, and it works great, but I have finished several different projects doing just that and would like to get the residue off of the stencils for storage. I have tried rubbing alcohol, laquer thinner, and soap and water, but rubbing the stencils can cause damage (especially if there are points on them) Any suggestions, the spray basting can suggests using organic cleaning methods-what does that mean?

Organic cleaners are Murphy's Oil Soap, citrus cleaners, etc. WD40 might also work. good luck let us know what works best...

beachcombr09 03-22-2011 11:41 AM

try using WD-40 - it works beautifully on a lot of things, including getting sharpie off of your stencils and sticky stuff off of things that have leftovers from price tags

Sew and Sew 2 03-22-2011 12:50 PM

I use WD-40 and it works great. Just wash with soap and water after the gunk is removed.