Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   clear plastic cutting mats for template plastic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/clear-plastic-cutting-mats-template-plastic-t106224.html)

clem55 03-09-2011 06:26 AM

A vinyle placemat from the $ store works well, esady to cut out. But, you need to put your ruler on top of it when using the rotary cutter. I learned that real fast!!

merry 03-09-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by babyfireo4
What is it that you use for templates? I found that the template plastic sheets are ok but so expensive! plus, I'd really like something I can use with my rotary cutter, scissors straight line and I don't always mesh well :)

DH buys acrylic sheets from Lowes, traces around paper or cardboard template & cuts the acrylic with his scroll saw. Then he files the edges smooth. Sheets of acrylic are very inexpensive.

babyfireo4 03-09-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by merry

What is it that you use for templates? I found that the template plastic sheets are ok but so expensive! plus, I'd really like something I can use with my rotary cutter, scissors straight line and I don't always mesh well :)

DH buys acrylic sheets from Lowes, traces around paper or cardboard template & cuts the acrylic with his scroll saw. Then he files the edges smooth. Sheets of acrylic are very inexpensive.

That's a great idea! My FIL has lots of woodworking stuff, maybe I can talk him into cutting some out for me :)

dolores 03-09-2011 10:26 AM

Thanks for that info. I have a scroll saw. I have had it for years. Now I can make my own

NanaCsews2 03-09-2011 10:35 AM

We buy the acrylic sheets also--you can get different thicknesses depended on your own preference. I am not comfortable with the thin sheets you can buy for making templates. I use the cutting glove, but am terrified of the thought of cutting myself. I need something thick against the cutter. Putting masking tape along the cutting line helps with spurs when using the saw. Our Home Depot also sells the hand cutters to cut the acrylic.

Sallyflymi 03-09-2011 10:38 AM

Great ideas. Thanks for the tips.

debbieumphress 03-09-2011 10:38 AM

Thought I would add my two cents. LOL. I have had to take xrays of one kind or another over the last 4 years so I have accumulated a stack of those black xrays and they are really great for making templates. I always end up with "copies" after all my visits, and kept them for records, now I am cutting them up. And this morning I brough home three more envelopes and one of them has 32 sheets. Wahooooooooo. I'll hang on to those babies too as soon as appts are over, they have the real copies at the hospital. So if you ever get the chance to pick up your xrays, it works. :):)

pojo 03-09-2011 10:52 AM

I bought some mats for cutting food on for 1.00 for 2 at Top;s market and they work great.

featherweight 03-09-2011 03:30 PM

Yes, I have been using them for several years now. They work great and a lot cheaper than the template plastic. Leaves me more money for fabric. (or gas in the truck)!!!

lalaland 03-09-2011 04:03 PM

I buy plastic placemats to cut up and use as templates. The dollar store had a bunch of them left over from Christmas a few years ago and I bought them all. I finally ran out but they are getting hard to find now. I found them at Walmart for $1 each but I have to be careful because some are kind of flimsy.