Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Close (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/close-t268931.html)

terriamn 08-18-2015 06:14 PM

Close

So close but so far away. Drove with my dh to Napperville Illinois where he will be working for two days. Quilt shop is only 3.4 miles away from hotel but it doesn't stay open past 5 or 5:30 and dh will have the car. Dang. I don't need any more fabric but it is frustrating to have it that close and not go there.

Tom W 08-18-2015 06:28 PM

how about a taxi or bus?

Peckish 08-18-2015 06:50 PM

My husband goes on business trips a lot, and this summer I tagged along on a couple of them. Got online, found a quilt museum and a quilt shop within 2 blocks of each other less than a mile from the hotel. Went down to the desk, smiled sweetly and asked if the shuttle could take me there. Shuttle was quiet for the moment, so the desk clerk said sure! I tipped the driver $5 and he was prompt in picking me up once I was done. My only complaint was that the quilt museum was closed, even though their hours posted said they were open. Nobody there. :(

quiltingcandy 08-18-2015 07:11 PM

Why not take your husband to work then keep the car?

Bree123 08-18-2015 07:57 PM

Naperville has a downtown shuttle bus (I think it's even free sometimes) that runs sometimes. Haven't tried it in a few years, but you might look up their city's website to see if it still runs.

Also, it might run you around $10 each way, but you can always call 303 Taxi at 630-303-0303. Maybe you could take the taxi to Quilt Shop & have hubby pick you up after work. Downtown Naperville has plenty of places to grab a coffee/tea while you wait -- probably very close to quilt shop.

Do keep in mind that IL has a 6.25% sales tax -- I don't recall if Naperville adds a city tax onto that (I don't think they do). I've seen too many visitors get a shock when their items ring up for $4-5 more than they expected. Still, there are many talented fiber artists in the area & some LQS-es will even carry hand-dyes or original design prints. Definitely worth the stop if you can sort out the logistics!

DOTTYMO 08-18-2015 09:51 PM

What are you going to do in the hotel all day. Dream about the quilt shop? No find some way to get there as suggested above it will make the day much more exciting. Have a great time.

ahawk65 08-18-2015 09:58 PM

Do you have a smart phone? Use uber.

dunster 08-19-2015 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 (Post 7290474)
<snip>Do keep in mind that IL has a 6.25% sales tax -- I don't recall if Naperville adds a city tax onto that (I don't think they do). I've seen too many visitors get a shock when their items ring up for $4-5 more than they expected. Still, there are many talented fiber artists in the area & some LQS-es will even carry hand-dyes or original design prints. Definitely worth the stop if you can sort out the logistics!

LOL, I just moved from Oregon (no sales tax) to California (8% here) and I'm constantly getting a shock.

3.4 miles - to a quilt shop vs. staying in the hotel - I would walk if I couldn't find another mode of transport. But keeping the car sounds like the easiest solution, unless dh needs it during the day.

terriamn 08-19-2015 04:23 AM

Thanks for the info on the sales tax, that would have been a surprise. Going to take shuttle to downtown and mosey Around and see if I can find the quilt shop if not will ask about shuttle to the shop tomorrow.

Stitchnripper 08-19-2015 04:30 AM

I agree to get there by taxi, shuttle, drop off or Uber. We use Uber in Atlanta and so far has been great. Our sales tax here is 9% so I would be happy with 6.25%!!