Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Closet Quilter, Group or Guild??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/closet-quilter-group-guild-t208189.html)

Morag 12-13-2012 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by mtngrl (Post 5713123)
I'm curious, how many of you belong to an organized group or guild and how many just quilt at home alone (closet quilter)?? Or maybe you are a professional teacher or longarmer??

Guild meeting once a month, and sit'n sew once a week, quilt camp every quarter.....then sew alone at home)
Nothing to beat it.....fun, fellowship and education!!!

Morag 12-13-2012 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine (Post 5717214)
Reading over all these replies now I don't think I even want to look for a guild. It sounds like they're all clicky with snobby women. Not really my thing because I can't keep my mouth shut. I'd be giving someone a piece of my mind.

Not so here..... the best thing Ihave done in years....

carslo 12-13-2012 06:53 AM

I belong to a guild but attend sporadically for many reasons - mostly life gets in the way of going to meetings. I sew everyday and have some g/fs that also quilt but not together. I am teaching another g/f to quilt she has been making the same baby quilt since last January, I don't push her but she knows that it needs to be completed before the boy is a man :) I am also offering my sewing space to a co-worker so that she can work on a t-shirt quilt. So I guess I am all three types of quilter you were enquiring after.
Happy sewing!

BrendaK 12-13-2012 07:14 AM

You all are my guild. I go to my quild all the time, day or night. Can't tell you all how much I have learned from all of you. Recently found out that one of my bowling buddies quilts and we enjoy talking. Don't have a car so hard to take classes and I really don't want to slep all my things around. My sister quilts but she lives in Oregon and I don't get to see her as often as I would like. So you all are it for me. Thanks for being there. BrendaK

PS Stitcher 12-13-2012 07:44 AM

I belong to a guild. They have great presentations where I learn a lot of new things. But we don't sew together. So I am on my own there. Which is alright with me.

sewbizgirl 12-13-2012 08:03 AM

I have always considered any kind of sewing as something I do alone. I can't see how my mind can be free to be creative in the midst of a social setting. Plus, why haul all the stuff somewhere to sew it when you can do it more efficiently right at home? Sewing (quilting) is "Me" time... That being said, I would not be averse to gathering with others to work on a charity project of some sort. But my real quilting happens at home, where I am alone with my thoughts.

GrannieAnnie 12-13-2012 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mtngrl (Post 5713123)
I'm curious, how many of you belong to an organized group or guild and how many just quilt at home alone (closet quilter)?? Or maybe you are a professional teacher or longarmer??

I think I resent being called a "closet" quilter. There's nothing I'm ashamed of quilting and sewing here all alone.

GrannieAnnie 12-13-2012 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5713385)
Where on earth did you get the term "closet quilter"? Such a negative connotation...like it's something to be ashamed of!

I am a solo, independent quilter who, like most artists, prefers to work alone. I wouldn't have it any other way. I spend quality time with other quilters, but not work time.

My feelings exactly.

muskratwine 12-13-2012 08:25 AM

Are you talking about the Naples Quilters Guild?? I belong to that and I'm surprised you didn't feel welcome. We're a very friendly group - please give us a try again.

marytp 12-13-2012 09:13 AM

Guild quilter here! in VA