Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Closet Quilter, Group or Guild??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/closet-quilter-group-guild-t208189.html)

Nilla 12-14-2012 04:41 AM

I quilt at home alone, but I also enjoy taking classes, sometimes to learn new skills and sometimes because a quilt catches my eye and I enjoy the company and seeing the color combinations that others choose. I've thought about joining a guild, but I'd probably feel like attending the meetings was an obligation, which would take away the fun for me.

be a quilter 12-14-2012 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke (Post 5713251)
I belong to the local guild and a small group that started from off the guild. I wouldn't be without either of them. They both offer lots. I wouldn't be without either of them.
I do love this board, but sometimes getting together with friends with the same interest is even better!
For those of you that have tried a guild but didn't like it, give it another chance. Even though you might not have liked it the first time, maybe it was just you didn't care for what they were doing. Go a few times before making a judgement. You may find lots of new quilting buddies!

I tried one for about 5 months and didn't get much out of it. People were friendly but not inviting. Never felt like I had a place there.

ro 12-14-2012 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by sewdamncute (Post 5718512)
I quilt all over the place, home, quild, once a week with a friend, retreats...anywhere people will have me!!!:)

i agree with sewdamcute. i'll go wherever anyone else is quilting and where i can squeeze in.

GrannieAnnie 12-14-2012 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by eyes (Post 5718556)
No one called you a name.

Reread the first message. I am not a "closet" anything and I resent the term.

Annaquilts 12-14-2012 08:57 AM

I am home. I used to have friends that came to quilt but now they come to relax, eat and drink a glass of wine. Oh well. I love them. Unfortunately the guild meets at a time I can't get there and the LQS store that had a sit and sew time closed.

Lynette-Merlin 12-14-2012 09:16 AM

Belong to a group (12 of us) called BZB. Meet once a month all day! Great fun. In between I stitch at home.

damaquilts 12-14-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by eyes (Post 5718556)
No one called you a name.

there always has to be one. It never even crossed my mind that is was a negative.

TanyaL 12-14-2012 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts (Post 5719920)
there always has to be one. It never even crossed my mind that is was a negative.

I think it has only been a negative term to one person. To the rest of us it is a play on words. We are addicted to quilting; we mostly quilt alone in our home; ergo, we are closet quilters. We need to understand the humor that was in the first message; it was really quite clever. I think it corresponds very well to any other addiction carried on in private that someone spends lots of money on, does privately, has no intention of quitting, is sure that it doesn't harm anyone else, etc. That describes my quilting. LOL!!

GrannieAnnie 12-14-2012 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts (Post 5719920)

The ONE will speak. Being a "closet" anything is very negative. I have no reason to hide anything about myself or my life or my way of sewing.

GrannieAnnie 12-14-2012 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5720134)
I think it has only been a negative term to one person. To the rest of us it is a play on words. We are addicted to quilting; we mostly quilt alone in our home; ergo, we are closet quilters. We need to understand the humor that was in the first message; it was really quite clever. I think it corresponds very well to any other addiction carried on in private that someone spends lots of money on, does privately, has no intention of quitting, is sure that it doesn't harm anyone else, etc. That describes my quilting. LOL!!

I reserve the right to determine what I consider humor.