Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Closet Quilter, Group or Guild??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/closet-quilter-group-guild-t208189.html)

isewman 12-11-2012 01:39 PM

I belong to the quilting board sight, and to my home town quilt guild Melon patcher QG. Been a member 25/26 years, and still the only guy. I dont mind, I feel like 1 of the ladies, even though I'm a guy. They even tell me how amazed they are, with some of my quilts, I show(show/tell). Don-isewman

jemma 12-11-2012 02:33 PM

i belong to a local group which meets every 2 weeks--great ladies the jaw gets a lot of excercise---our guild here in adelaide are blest with some world renoun quilters--rachel deneny---pam holland--michelle hill [the spelling may be off sorry]--they are extreemly nice people and share their knoledge[ok my spelling brains in bed still] we had 250 people at our xmas party ----------i am a stay at home but like the stimulation o f good company

Shelbie 12-11-2012 02:33 PM

I belong to two quilting guilds that meet monthly, one Stitch and Share that meets weekly and a Community Quilt Group that meets once or twice a month. All of my groups are quite different and the same people do not belong to all groups so you get to meet a lot of quilters. I enjoy all of my groups and still find time to do lots of stitching at home. I also have a couple of close quilting buddies (less than a mile from my house) who I regularly hang out with.

2011wannaquilt 12-11-2012 02:54 PM

Recently retired so I am currently a closet quilter. Would love to be part of a group or guild.
Carolyn

QuiltnNan 12-11-2012 02:54 PM

i quilt alone, but a couple times a month do enjoy getting together with the quilting seniors... not a lot of serious quilting goes on, though.

Lori S 12-11-2012 03:13 PM

I sew alone.. I am pretty production orientated!! When I get ready to sew .. I want no distractions. I tried the group thing but I think they thought I was not "commited" as sometimes my work has me traveling and I can never say I can definately make a meeting.

MaryMo 12-11-2012 03:27 PM

I am an independent quilter. I tried a couple of quilds several years ago but it didn't work out. But since I am recently retired I would like to try again to find a group that fits. I tend to do things contrary to others - I get the same results, just a different way and many people try to tell me "how its done correctly" .... I don't fit in for many .....

Tropical 12-11-2012 04:16 PM

I have been a closet quilter teaching myself as I come across books, magazines and this forum. I have the utmost respect for the quilters here. Plus I found out about You Tube tutorials here.
I am considering joining a guild. A friend who lives two houses away from me asked me to go to a meeting with her in October. We went and enjoyed ourselves. Everyone seemed quite friendly. We are going to go to another meeting (can attend two without paying) before we make a decision to commit or not. I think I will join if she wants to join, yet I'm also thinking about asking her if she would like to simply get together to quilt a couple times a month in our homes since we are so close. It isn't a matter of dues since they are only $15 a year. For me it is my Chemical Sensitivities. I can't be around anyone wearing fragrances or fresh laundry products. She told me she isn't ready in her quilting to work with a group on charity projects. I can see the pros and cons of joining and not joining. So I will have to see what the future brings. :):):)

Jackie Spencer 12-11-2012 04:17 PM

I have tried both (2 guilds) and I prefer the more relaxed atmosphere of a quilting group. I belong to 2. One meets the first Sat. of the month at local Library from 9 to 3. We have a pitch and sew all day. Have been doing this for 4 years. The other group meets the 3rd Thurs. evening of the month. We have show and tell sometimes demonstrations, we all make a raffle quilt every year and give the money to Charities of our choice, and this year we made lap quilts for a nursing home for Christmas.

Dragonomine 12-11-2012 04:28 PM

Closet quilter here. I'm sure we have local groups in town but I do volunteer work while the kids are at school and then play taxi to them the rest of the time. Maybe when they start driving themselves?