Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Clothes to make a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/clothes-make-quilt-t194280.html)

kd7kyo 07-11-2012 07:13 AM

Clothes to make a quilt

How many outfits of baby to toddler size to make a crib size quilt. A co worker wanted me to make her one. Just trying to get how much clothing would be enough.

PaperPrincess 07-11-2012 09:33 AM

This is a really wide open question. I'm going to assume that you are just going to cut the garments into squares, then add sashing, and make a 't shirt' type quilt, not actually do a pieced block. For a baby top, I would guess that you could only get a 6X6" square at the most. Toddler, maybe 10X10?? Lets say that you add enough fabric to the square cut from baby clothes to make up a 10X10" block, so you are working with all the same size blocks, then have 2" sashing
If a crib is about 45 X 60, you would need 4 garment blocks across, and 5 down for a total of 20 items. This, plus the sashing should get you in the ball park.
You will need to treat the knit items like t-shirts and add an iron on interfacing.
Don't know if this helps or not.

kd7kyo 07-11-2012 11:40 AM

Thank you, It was a request from a co worker. I have never done anything like this before so doing TONS of research to make sure it is right and i know what i am doing before i begin cutting. Thank you so much for the information!!!

hopetoquilt 07-11-2012 03:13 PM

It is more challenging to make this type of quilt. I would cut the pieces in sizes that would end up being a finished size that is a multiple of 3 and that way you can puzzle piece them together. you can put borders around each shirt/fabric to add to the size. You can add extra squares/blocks to fill in to increase the size of the quilt.

suern3 07-11-2012 03:19 PM

You might do a search on this site for a picture of a quilt made from baby clothes. I know I saw one recently and it was really cute.

mucky 07-11-2012 05:09 PM

You can always adjust the size with borders that wouldn't have to be the clothes.

LauraRG 07-12-2012 06:44 AM

My mind went in a totally different direction. I was picturing really cute baby clothes (or at least the fronts) appliqued onto a backing fabric. So many opportunities for creative placment and quilting.

I love all the other ideas too... would be an adorable quilt. One of the UFO's I have is a simple patch top I made with scraps from all my maternity clothes (I sewed them all myself) After 26 yearsa it might be time to finish this one!

Laura

Xtgirl 07-13-2012 12:13 PM

I cut up my kids baby clothes...from 0-1. Most of the blocks were 4x4 and I had some 4x8 and some 8x8. I also used baby blankets so those ended up being larger and appliquéd some clothes and hats onto the blankets. Everything was divisible by 4.....

cad_queen_2000 07-13-2012 08:27 PM

Why not make a crazy quilt? Then you could make the blocks what ever size you wanted, and the size of the baby clothes really wouldn't matter. I have seen gorgeous crazy quilts, but never a crazy baby quilt.