Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Clover Mini iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/clover-mini-iron-t122056.html)

bamamama 05-11-2011 05:24 AM

I bought on for applique and use it for tiny things. Otherwise I still like my regular iron.

grandjan 05-11-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora
I don't think it gets hot enough and I seem to remember that the cord got in the way or it was heavier then the iron and made the iron difficult to handle.

I also have the Hobbico iron that I have seen Eleanor Burns use on TV. It gets very hot, has a nice point -- does not have auto shut-off so I have scorched my ironing board cover a few times.

Oh, I should have mentioned this. I made a little ironing pad for mine, using fleece and the silver fabric they sell for ironing board covers. Took about fifteeen minutes and it keeps the clover from accidently burning something as well as giving me a surface I can use to press blocks. The pad is about 9-inches square.

jolo 05-11-2011 05:34 AM

I have one and keep in in a cup, I find it does real well on small block seams and use it at my machine when pieceing. For the whole block I get up and use my big iron. I do also have a small travel iron and use it somethimes.

mjsylvstr 05-11-2011 05:39 AM

I have one and don't use it too often but it is a God-send when working on a gridded project, with those little squares.

I have also used it on some of my PPing quilts.....some of the seams are so tiny, that this little iron comes in quite handy.

As I said, I don't use it often frequently but am glad to have it when needed.

obie2 05-11-2011 05:44 AM

I have one. don't use it often, but it did the job when I was using my embroidery machine doing quilt blocks in the hoop.

Grambi 05-11-2011 05:48 AM

I bought one to take to retreats to use on my little table by my side. I burned myself multiple times, put it away and have never used it again. I bought a Rowenta travel-size iron at Bed, Bath and Beyond using a coupon. I love it. I consider my Clover Iron a waste of my money. From reading all of the posts, it appears that the iron has some design problems or this board has a bunch of klutzes!

DebbyT 05-11-2011 05:48 AM

I got mine to press seams when quilting, but found it quite awkward and too time consuming. It does come in handy though for prepping small applique pieces when using starch and folding over the small seam allowance.

Olivia's Grammy 05-11-2011 05:54 AM

I like it for fusing, when I can remember to get it out.

Nanaof4 05-11-2011 06:06 AM

I only use mine for paper piecing.

GrannieAnnie 05-11-2011 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Lady
Do any of you on this board use the Clover mini iron for pressing seams when quilting? If so, how do you like it, pro's and con's. I got a Joann's gift certificate for Mother's Day and am thinking about buying one. Thanks!!

Blessings,

A friend has a mini seam iron AND LOVES IT. Can't tell you the brand, though. She relys on it when piecing a quilt.