Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Coats and clark machine quilting thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/coats-clark-machine-quilting-thread-t172413.html)

Stitchnripper 12-19-2011 04:33 PM

I use coats and Clark all the time. I haven't had any problems with any of the varieties. My machines aren't fussy.

pinkberrykay 12-19-2011 06:44 PM

I started off using C&C and my Janome just did not like it. The thread kept breaking and was terribly linty in my machine. I have since switched to Guterman and Mettler.

SaraSewing 12-19-2011 07:19 PM

I use "whatever". A local shop was going out of business and I bought their entire stock of C&C for $50. A few weird colors, but it sews great, and I have a huge bag of thread. I can't bring myself to buy expensive thread, expensive fabric, expensive. . . . (you got it, I'm thrifty). My purpse in quilting is to be creative and use scraps. I don't spend hundreds of $$ for fabric/thread/quilting, etc just for a project.

katz_n_kwiltz 12-25-2011 10:26 AM

first, let me tell you, coats and clark has been around for a long time, i have sewn with it since i have been sewing.
its not a bad thread, really, but it is a bit on the linty side. i love coats n clarks star thread, for piecing and long arming.
makes you have to clean your machine out, and when you do, suck it out, dont blow it back in. now that i am an accomplished quilter, i prefer gutermann nylon thread, there almost NO lint, makes a world of difference.
katz

JulieR 12-25-2011 10:37 AM

I almost always use C&C with no issues at all. Gutermann is just okay in my machine, nothing special, though I just went through hell with Mettler and ended up giving it all away.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you just pay. It's definitely worth experimenting with each brand to see how it goes, but at the end of the day use what satisfies you without killing your budget. For me that's still good old C&C, but there is no wrong answer.

BellaBoo 12-25-2011 05:22 PM

There has been times that every brand of thread I tried to use would break, fray, or bird nest when trying to machine quilt and the C&C would work like a charm. I have all brands of thread and each have their own pros and cons. It seems the C&C sews best when I use it on my Featherweight and 301. I don't fret over what brand of thread I use. If it is sewing a great stitch then I'm happy. I mostly use Aurifil because I bought a case of it at a bargain price.

Pat P 12-26-2011 07:47 AM

coats and clark

I have used this thread probably won't replace it with more. Like the shine of it on top of quilt. Not good for hand sewing for me. Like the thread from C&C.

FroggyinTexas 12-26-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 4791445)
Your quilts are most certainly NOT going to fall part because of using C&C thread, assuming it's not from a brittle vintage spool (strong vintage is fine). Find something else to worry about if you must, but not the thread. ;)

Regarding lint, I've not had lint be a problem with any C&C thread I've used and I've probably used them all at one time or another in the last 40 years. I've recently fallen in love with Star Threads, made by C&C for quilting, and have used it in several quilts with absolutely no linting at all. It's 100% cotton and, like all C&C threads, is reasonably priced and readily available.

Ditto! I love Coats and Clark. DNF

saragasch 12-26-2011 08:45 AM

I only used the expensive threads for quite a while. I was told, don't don't don't use Coats and Clark, you will see a huge difference in lint, breakage, etc..... I finally tried it due to cost. I simply could not spend as much on thread. I was shocked that one, I had less lint, and two it has only broken once. Now I must say I don't like the extra large spools because they don't work with my machine but that is not a thread issue, I think it is a machine or user error issue.

sweetana3 12-26-2011 09:57 AM

I use the machine quilting thread from C&C and it is strong. However, it is incredibly linty. I am amazed at the balls of lint I clean out of my Featherweight. I have to keep the feed dog area very clean or the amount of lint causes it to skip stitches.

I will not therefore use it in my Bernina. It is inexpensive and a good alternative. I was having problems with the new XP version of Dual Duty with it shredding and breaking.