Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Coats threads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/coats-threads-t107814.html)

roadrunr 03-16-2011 04:40 AM

I've had no problem with c&c dual duty - I use them all the time, but I usually get it at Hancock's when it is half price.

applique 03-16-2011 04:56 AM

I have spools of C&C and DD that I need to get rid of. I think some that say Star and Coats came from Connecting Threads! I use a heavier weight for my applique.

piepatch 03-16-2011 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
IMO, one of the lowest quality threads on the market. With so many better options, I buy other thread.

I agree with Candace. In my opinion, it is of very low quality. It was once known as Coats and Clark, and for many years was a good quality mercerized cotton thread, but I don't see the quality anymore. They first changed the cotton thread for general sewing to cotton /polyester thread, and then to polyester, and the colors are not the same, probably because polyester doesn't take the dye the same as cotton. I get a lot of lint and breakage from the Coats thread now, and I don't recommend it. It will cost you more to buy a good quality cotton thread for your quilt making, but it will be worth it !

Quilter7x 03-16-2011 05:02 AM

My Bernina likes C&C Star thread (big spools, online only from JoAnn's) for FMQ. I do have some spools of C&C regular thread that I use on the Janome and have not had any problems with it, but most of my thread is Gutterman.

vickimc 03-16-2011 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by RUSewing
I've used Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread for YEARS with no complaints or problems (both piecing and quilting charity baaby quilts).

this is all we had for year and years. It is good and holds up well. They have Poly now. used to get only cotton. their mainstay is cotton covered poly core, which is strong and works great. It is not cheep thread. give it a try.

k3n 03-16-2011 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine

Originally Posted by k3n
I have no experience of Coats though, sorry. I have a friend with the same machine as I and in addition to YLI and Superior, she also uses Mettler with great success I believe, for quilting. :-D

I think you mean me K? :D

Just to be specific, it's Mettler "Silk Finish" I like for quilting, in case anyone thinks its Mettler Quilting.
Silk Finish is a 50/3 and therefore finer than the 40/3 quilting thread.

The one and only! :D

CarrieAnne 03-16-2011 05:21 AM

I use it, but most of mineis older from Garage sales, so I am not sure of the quality of the newer ones.

sharoney 03-16-2011 05:23 AM

I find that it tends to shred and break. I don't use it except sometimes for piecing.

rannyof3 03-16-2011 05:27 AM

That is the thread I've used for years too and never had a problem.

Para722 03-16-2011 05:43 AM

I would not use coats and clark thread. I never works right in my machine.