Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Color of border....light or dark? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-border-light-dark-t99675.html)

Wendys Quilts 02-14-2011 04:30 AM

Okay, everyone...I need a little help here. I am doing another bargello. The colors I have picked for it is blues...light to dark to black. I am going to do a small border in red. We did pick out a larger border that has compasses, kind of Navy related with a light tan background. However, the light tan is NOT working with the blues in the bargello. It might be ok with the red smaller border, but I am not thrilled wiht it yet. I dont have the red for the smaller border yet.

How do you pick your borders, light or dark? Do you prefer one over the other? This is another quilt I am making for a long time friend of ours that will be retiring from the Navy. So we were trying to make it Navy/nautical/ocean like.

thequiltmama 02-14-2011 04:36 AM

I really don't know but....I do know that if you aren't happy now then you probably won't be happy later. At least that is what I found with my quilts. But sometimes they do look better when they are finished too. Best of luck, I think either way they are going to love it. Bargello are super neat. :-)

susie-susie-susie 02-14-2011 05:13 AM

Sometimes I wait until the body of the quilt is completed and then audition borders. At times it turns out to be a fabric that I would never have guessed would look good. With all the colors in a bargello, you have a lot of choices.
Sue

sewingladydi 02-14-2011 05:20 AM

Hard to say without seeing your quilt. But I personally do not have any hard and fast rules. Sometimes I know before I start the quilt what I want for a border. If I'm unsure, I wait until I'm done and then figure that out.

cherylynne 02-14-2011 05:38 AM

My small inner borders are ususlly what I call a "Zinger". It stops the eye and pops out from the rest of the quilt. Your outer border sounds great and seems to pull everything together. It's hard to give opinions without a picture, though. Your avitar borders seem to work well, so I think that you have a good eye for colors.

Wendys Quilts 02-14-2011 06:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
You are right, I should have posted pictures of this...The red border is just to see if we liked it or not. I like the red small border, makes it pop. The larger border is the one in question.

Also, I am debating on whether to applique bright colored fish on to the quilt top, not many just three or so...

What's everyone think?

front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]143160[/ATTACH]

little red border just for comparison, and the large border I am not sure about???
[ATTACH=CONFIG]143955[/ATTACH]

EIQuilter 02-14-2011 06:11 AM

I'm not sure about the border either, but what would it look like if you used green (it looks like kind of a lime green in the border print) for your small border instead of the red? That might not work at all, but it might pull it all together. Worth a try!

amma 02-14-2011 08:15 AM

I love the idea of a few fish swimming across your quilt, very clever :D
The border fabric is a little busy to me, it draws my eye away from the beautiful bargello :D:D:D

Furza Flyin 02-14-2011 08:19 AM

I always go with a darker outside border, silly I know, but I consider the border a frame, and I like dark frames. It sets off what's inside.

tomilu 02-14-2011 08:26 AM

I would put a narrow, like 2", navy blue border first and then I think your fabric would work ok.