Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Color Catchers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-catchers-t207926.html)

michelled 12-08-2012 08:52 AM

Color Catchers

I made a crib quilt I made for DGD and there's quite a bit of red in it. I asked my DD to give it to me when it was time to be washed so that I could try to use a product that would prevent the red from running. Well, I washed it yesterday with normal laundry detergent and OXYPRO and some of the red did bleed into other areas - not a huge amount but nevertheless ...

I live in southwestern Ontario and I haven't been able to find Color Catchers in the laundry section of my grocery store (Zehrs). Can anyone tell me the name of a grocery chain that does carry it? Thanks!!

SewExtremeSeams 12-08-2012 08:57 AM

I usually buy them at my local Walmart. Here's a link where you can order them online.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shout-Colo...24-ct/11046026

I have washed all sorts of colors together and I usually toss in two or three if they is great contrast in the colors I am washing. I am always amazed as to how they do not run. The color catcher pieces are always full of dye. Hope it works for you.

DOTTYMO 12-08-2012 09:02 AM

In England they sell in almost every shop only they do have a mixture of names so look for anything that says it catches colour prevents bleeds etc if it is not a colour catcher I always use more than 1 as I feel they are not as strong.

IndigoQuilter 12-08-2012 09:03 AM

Michelle, I was buying from Amazon or having my sister send them.

Tartan 12-08-2012 09:04 AM

The only place that carried them in my area was Zellers. I don't know if they still do but I have my son pick up mine when he goes to the U.S. at Target. Since Target is taking over the Zellers chain in Canada maybe they will stock them?

KarenR 12-08-2012 09:04 AM

I got mine at wal mart but there was a post on how you could make your own.
I have never done that - I wonder how well they work.

romanojg 12-08-2012 09:41 AM

Color Catchers work great but beware. There was a post on here about someone spending a fortune on repair bills because they got hung up on the washers drain. I started pinning them to a washcloth but it was already too late. My washer quit draining and I had to call the repair man. When he got there; sure enough, there were 2 of them clogging it up. I was lucky because I had a warranty so it didn't cost me anything. Either pin them to a washcloth or put them in a mesh laundry bag so that you know they aren't getting stuck somewhere they shouldn't. Its funny I have little tiny socks from my granddaughter and they never get stuck. I guess it's because the CC are so thin and small. Keep on using them but just becareful. I know Walmarts has them plus in the part that has bathroom/laundry things (not the detergent isle) they have a different product that is supposed to do the same thing. You could probably order them on line as well. All the chains here carry them.

Ripped on Scotch 12-08-2012 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by michelled (Post 5706127)
I made a crib quilt I made for DGD and there's quite a bit of red in it. I asked my DD to give it to me when it was time to be washed so that I could try to use a product that would prevent the red from running. Well, I washed it yesterday with normal laundry detergent and OXYPRO and some of the red did bleed into other areas - not a huge amount but nevertheless ...

I live in southwestern Ontario and I haven't been able to find Color Catchers in the laundry section of my grocery store (Zehrs). Can anyone tell me the name of a grocery chain that does carry it? Thanks!!

I live in SW ontario as well and I've only found them across the river. I have to go to walmart or Meijer in Michigan to get them. Good luck finding these

Lori S 12-08-2012 10:01 AM

If you can't get color catchers, can you get Synthropol? Its actually better than color catchers. You add the liquid to the wash and it suspends any unset dye so it won't set on the other fabrics. Personally, I trust Sythropol more than color catchers.

QuiltE 12-08-2012 01:46 PM

:D Another SW Ontarian reporting here! :D

Look for Dr. Beckmann Colour & Dirt Collectors .... virtually the same as the Shout Color Catchers that our USA neighbours have. They work and I was surprised at fabrics that bled ... and after more than one washing! Now, I use them in ALL pre-wash of fabrics to know how stable the colours are and as a quality control check for me.

They also have a line of products for other washing needs ... including to deal with Colour Bleeds. Here's an earlier thread .............

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t185615.html

IF I notice the sheet change colours ... then I will re-wash the fabric, til another sheet comes out clear. And/Or treat with Retayne.

Synthropol does the same job as the Colour Collectors/Catchers ... only that you have no visible proof to "know" what really happened. That's why I prefer the CCs, so I can see and have confirmation, that all is good.

As to where to buy, I get them at Metro. And if by chance you are near a Longos, they have them too. I seldom shop at Zehrs or the Loblaws group of stores, so don't know what your chances are there.

Yes! I am SOLD on their value during the pre-wash process ... so I don't have to fret later!

Good Luck!